Simbrah?

Help Support CattleToday:

BullBucker

Reaction score
Hi what do you guys thank of Simbrahs? I don't have any cattle yet, and that is the breed I am looking at. I also like Simmental. but no Angus, Brangus, Limousin, or Shorthorn. I don't want Angus or Brangus, I just don't. and we have Limousin and Shorthorn all over out here. I know I will cross breed, but for the most part I want pb Simbrah. dose any one know any cons or pros on both Sim breeds. I know when my dad was kid, the calvs wer to big, and black was not a easy to find color. but I have seen that that has changed. Thanks.

JP

BullBucker":3lasv3zi said:
I know when my dad was kid, the calvs wer to big, and black was not a easy to find color. but I have seen that that has changed. Thanks.

JP
That's what happens when they are crossed with Angus.

I grew up around Simmental and Simbrah, mainly Simbrah and I have always really like them, and I think you should go with what you like but you have to remember some people get so hung up on color that they overlook good cattle, so you will probably pay for it in the end if angus is the fad in your area which I'm sure it is. Not saying angus aren't good, because they are it's just I feel like there is some tunnel vision occuring with angus people.

There are "some" on here that will tell you simbrah are no good because of the brahman blood they have but from my experience we never had any problems, and the calves hit the ground running and sickness didn't seem to be a concern for dad.

Good cattle in my opinion

the pro's of a simbra heavy milkers great mothers easy calvers, can raise a monster of a baby when bred to the RIGHT bull by that i mean a strait bred bull. a hereford or angus would be my first choice. cons heavy milkers,bad feet on some and temperment i have had simbra heifers raise 600+ pd calves at 205 day weaning weights.but they take more groceries than my brafords do. but depending on were in oklahoma your are i wouldnt recommend them :hat:

I like the few Simbrahs I have. I cross them to my Brahmans to get as much Brahman yet to maintain the softness of the Simmental. I haven't yet crossed the Simbrahs (mine are 1/2 Brahman 1/2 Simmie) to my South Devon which I think should cross well.
I think Simbrahs provided they have enough Brahman content shouldn't cause you any calving troubles.
Colin :D

I sort of came up with a few Simbras when I bought my father out of the biz. They were excellant animals, I bred em to Limis, Gelbviehs, and Angus.... They raised good calfs no matter what breed of bull I used. I did have one that got a bad bag at 8 years of age.... That could have happened to most any breed. Good luck

I'm one hour east of tulsa. why would you not rwcommend them for some parts of OK? and Simbrah is a breed, so the bulls are strait bred. but I do get what you are saying.

I like any color, but my dad has always said that a smaller black baldy would sale better then a better looking red cow. to me that sounds like dumb buyers.

yah I thank that alot of Angus breeders do have tunnel vision. I not saying a bad word about the breed, but just cuz there is a big fad {key word Fad} going on I'm not going to buy in. they are just not an outstanding breed to me. now is fad could go on for years but who knows.

and any one who has a bad word to say about Brahman can just eat their boots. I love Brahmans but some thing is telling me that they are not what I want at this time.

to the west of me every one has Shorthorn, I like the breed but every one has them. and to the east Angus and a lot of Limousin. more red Limos then black.

I have a cuz/budy who at one time was very into Limos, he sold off all his cows and now he wishis he had them back. I know he is going to try and talk me out of the Simbrah, he dose not like Brahmans. but when he sees an out standing cow no mater the breed, he will tell you that is one good looking cow.
I want something that is new, will calve easy, grow fast, sale good, and do it on not so grand land.

thanks for the input
JP

Thanks Doc, just as i was gonna reply, now im gonna have to break out the dictionary to complicate matters.Please keep it simple for us dumb ol' southern cattle raisers.

DOC HARRIS":1bf3dgp4 said:
Forum Members: - Open the Ball - and let the dance begin!! :eek: :lol: :roll:

DOC HARRIS

IMO they are no better than Brahman cattle. WHY cross ear with continental. Wise thing is to introduce Angus and stay away from composite breeds. They don't breed true. What do I mean? Color varience and consitancy of them. IMO you are either going to get calves that look more branman or more simmy and not one look alike.

Scotty

DOC HARRIS":2vouph4a said:
Forum Members: - Open the Ball - and let the dance begin!! :eek: :lol: :roll:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, last time I went dancing, someone stepped on my hand. ;-)

But then again, a good British breed bull might work OK on those Simbrahs.

Nothing wrong with liking the cattle you raise. I like looking at cattle with some chrome on them. I also am an hour east of Tulsa (maybe a little farther but I drive fast).

A lot around here sale their cattle at the Joplin Stock Yard. I would maybe go there and see how the Brahman influence sell, if that is close to you? I have a neighbor that raises Brangus, but most everyone else seems to go the Hereford, Angus, Limmi or Simmental cross route. Seems you just can not beat the Black Baldy here and from way it sounds on this sight most anywhere.

But you have to look at them every day so if you like looking at Simbrah then go that way. I think Simmental can make compliment most any breed.

well bullbucker im not taking up for angus dont have to theres too many folks on here that will do that.but they are a long ways from being a fad. in fact there pretty much a mainstay in the cattle industry.im not saying this too win favoritism just a fact. now back to simbrah cows in northern oklahoma is not gonna be to enviromental friendly for them let alone what the market will do to um. :hat:

OK. I have read every word. I'm thinking that I will buy an small number of Simbrah cows like 3 or 5. and most of my herd will be Simmental, and Simmental cross. I don't know at this time what I will breed my Simbrah cows to. I do like Herefords, and I am willing to have Angus cross. I like color on my cows. but if the Simbrah cows do good and the cavles sale good, then I will add more, and sale off the cows that are not giving me what I want.
I'm going to see how far the Joplin Stock Yards are from us. if it not too far, me and my dad will go. we have them same eye, but some times he sees thangs I don't

there is a small herd of Brahman not to far from me. one red bull and about ten cows. but the guy has them more as pets. he drives out to check them two times a day. I thank the cows are cross bred, they are wild colored, some have horns, well I have never seen cows that look like they do.

I'll tell you all now that I don't like to do what every one dose. I don't like lab dogs, I have seen 5 paint horses that I would ever own, ect. I'm not afraid to rock the boat, so sorry if I step on anyones toes.

JP

BullBucker":3u178vr9 said:
I'll tell you all now that I don't like to do what every one dose. I don't like lab dogs, I have seen 5 paint horses that I would ever own, ect. I'm not afraid to rock the boat, so sorry if I step on anyones toes.

JP

You can be an Angus guy and still be a rebel. Angus has a "moose" faction, a small frame faction, breed purity fanatics, EPD gurus, EPD haters, show jocks, livestock show haters, etc. I think Kit Pharo generally walks to the beat of his own drummer. There is a very knowledgable Angus guy on here today that was throwing bombs at VERY significant Angus bloodlines that many people on this board probably have in their herds. I follow Herefords semi-closely. I got a sale flyer from an outfit in Texas that uses frame score 8 Herfs AND bigger and I have read ads from a Herf ranch here in Alabama that is trumpeting the attributes of the frame score 3 and 4 Hereford fattened on grass. Those guys probably have more bitter disputes WITHIN the same breed than most breeders have between breeds. If you like Simbrahs, raise Simbrahs; but don't select a breed simply because you want to make a statement. You can be outspoken and DIFFERENT in ANY breed of cattle.

Your not stepping on toes.but in this business you had better be flexable if you want to make any money are you might as well be raising emu's. what you are i like dont seem to matter alot.

We have Simmental and Brahman, and consequently, Simbrahs, and they are very good cattle.. especially here in the south.

I also like some "color" to my cattle, and won't pass up a spotted Simbrah or Simmental solely because of white spots, which of course, came from the "old style" Simmentals. We always use a homozygous black bull, so he'll get rid of the spots for selling the calves.

You'll like your Simbrahs.. I'd jump right in!

Simbrah is a cross of the two most populous breeds in the world. BosIndicus & BosTaurus - so this is the best heterosis. If you were solely looking for heterosis, than yes, coming back on the Simbrah cow with a british breed, would produce the most heterosis in the calf.
But Simbrahs make a great breed. You have to like what you are breeding.
I personnally breed Simmental, so I'm partial to them.

Latest posts