Simbrah?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a purebred Simmental bull and two purebred Brangus heifers. If I breed them will the calf be eligible to be registered as a Simbrah? If not could they be registered at all and as what?

[email protected]

If your bull is registered, the offspring can be registered two ways. They can be registered as a 1/2 blood Simmental, or (I think) they can be registered as a percentage Simbrah. I'm not familiar with what percent brahman is in a brangus animal. Jeanne
> I have a purebred Simmental bull
> and two purebred Brangus heifers.
> If I breed them will the calf be
> eligible to be registered as a
> Simbrah? If not could they be
> registered at all and as what?

[email protected]

A true Brangus is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus. Simbrah is 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Simmental. The result of mating a 8/8 Simmental to the Brangus would therefore result in a composite animal with 3/16 Brahman, 5/16 Angus and 1/2 Simmental. I don't think that such a calf would be registered in any of those breeds, but later generations of breeding up could probably be registered, most likely as Simbrah. At least this Brahman/Angus/Simmental calf would presumably have a lot of hybrid vigor, being a blend of Brahman, British & Continental.

Yes, IF THE BULL is a Purebred Simmental bull, the calf CAN BE registered as a 1/2 blood Simmental and I still think you might be able to register it a a percentage Simbrah, but you would have to check with ASA on the Simbrah. I have been breeding Simmental for 30 years - started out with commercial cattle and upgraded. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>
> A true Brangus is 3/8 Brahman and
> 5/8 Angus. Simbrah is 3/8 Brahman
> and 5/8 Simmental. The result of
> mating a 8/8 Simmental to the
> Brangus would therefore result in
> a composite animal with 3/16
> Brahman, 5/16 Angus and 1/2
> Simmental. I don't think that such
> a calf would be registered in any
> of those breeds, but later
> generations of breeding up could
> probably be registered, most