simatah cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I have very bad luck with simmentals in my area. They are very prone to get sick. Most of the calve buyers in our area dont prefer them either and have had as much bad luck as I have had. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck with them?

Simmentals are not particularly preferred buy the buyers in our area, but Simm and Simm cross steers have consistently dominated the market steer class at our county fair and also in the adjoining county since the late 70's and early 80's. Steers are given an overall index score based on: ADG = 25%; Live show scores (avg. from 3 judges - including a feedlot operator and a registered breeder - usually Angus) = 25%; back fat and loin eye area from ultrasound = 50%. We personally haven't had any serious health problems and no pinkeye even in cattle that are not pigmented.

I have simmentals and simmental crosses we have very little calving problems they are mostly all good mothers and good milkers usually weaning 600-700lb. calves. we have one farmer that always wants our calves because they do good . Some times I think some of the crosse do as good or better than the purebreds. We use purbred simmental bull

It's just recently that I've started using this new spelling "Simmental", when they were first imported we refered to them as "Simmenthal". Old dog, new trick

dun

Simmental cattle are the second most popular breed in my area.(Angus is first) Most people around here are very pleased with them as are the buyers. Simmentals are very good milkers and we cross them with angus and get a calf that grows well on the cow and in the feedlot, and also grades well on the rail. Overall we are very pleased with them.

shorty":2yx6ebce said:
I have simmentals and simmental crosses we have very little calving problems they are mostly all good mothers and good milkers usually weaning 600-700lb. calves. we have one farmer that always wants our calves because they do good . Some times I think some of the crosse do as good or better than the purebreds. We use purbred simmental bull
is this the weight at six months old and if so how big are the mamma cows. could you get calves this size with braunvieh and brangus cow bred to a simm bull.

We usually wean at 7 months ,some cows will kick them off before that no creep feed but whenever pasture isn't real good there always good haylage there for cows and calves all they want. Most cows weigh 1500-1600 lbs. just sent a 10 year old with mastitis to auction 2weeks ago she was 1530, angus cross and hereford cross are smaller maybe 1200 . I'm not familiar with braunvieh or brangus so I can't help you there.

trav":1o02ochl said:
shorty":1o02ochl said:
is this the weight at six months old and if so how big are the mamma cows. could you get calves this size with braunvieh and brangus cow bred to a simm bull.

yes, you will get the same kind of results if you cross Simmental with Braunvieh and Brangus cows, maybe Brangus crosses will be better, you will have more hybrid vigor

Simmental cattle perform differently in various climates. There are some crossbred simmy's in my area but not many due to the fact that they're more prone to pink eye and other various problems associated with non-pigmented cattle, which is strange because we have some Charolais in our area. We mostly have crossbred cattle, Charolais bulls on crossbred cows is popular here. We also have alot of Angus, Brangus, and Maine Anjou influence here.

Latest posts