SimAngus or Simbrah Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Is anyone using SimAngus or Simbrah bulls on Angus cross cows? If so how are the calves doing. I'm currently using 3 Herefords and an Angus bull but 1 of the Herefords needs to go. The Simbrah bulls I'm going to look at are Rx branded bulls.

I've been using a SimAngus-1/8 Brahman. Had him for 3 years now. His calves are nice. Better than than the Angus that I have used. Im making a change this spring but will use SimAngus again in a few years. Here is a few 13 month old heifers from him.

I'd use a Purebred Simmental bull over angus cows. It would also depend on what you're seeking to gain....replacements or steers, and your environment, either of which a purebred can deliver for you. Looking for terminal or maternal? Also would depend on what improvement your cows need.

Gators Rule":1arelvc6 said:
I'd use a Purebred Simmental bull over angus cows. It would also depend on what you're seeking to gain....replacements or steers, and your environment, either of which a purebred can deliver for you. Looking for terminal or maternal? Also would depend on what improvement your cows need.

Agreed, we run PB or 3/4 Simmis on our Angus/Simangus cows and have been for years. Results have been optimal for us with both steers and replacement heifers.

I'd think the Simangus v. Simbrah would also depend on your area. Not many sale barns in my area would like the extra ear that the Brahman would bring to the table! It's hard enough to sell reds and anything labeled "exotic" for a decent price around here! ;-)

I am currently using two purebred Simbrahs, one is solid red and the other is red white faced (my 3rd and 4th Simbrahs). They would work well over the Angus and give you some good heifers if you were looking to keep them. Both of them have super tight sheaths and pass that on to their calves.
Rx was Sally Buxkemper and she died about a year ago, cannot remember who bought her herd. Both of mine are from Tim Smith (Smith Genetics) in Giddings.

SIMMGAL":1l44yl05 said:
Gators Rule":1l44yl05 said:

Agreed, we run PB or 3/4 Simmis on our Angus/Simangus cows and have been for years. Results have been optimal for us with both steers and replacement heifers.

I'd think the Simangus v. Simbrah would also depend on your area. Not many sale barns in my area would like the extra ear that the Brahman would bring to the table! It's hard enough to sell reds and anything labeled "exotic" for a decent price around here! ;-)
The OP has Northeast Texas (NETX) as location. 1/4 Brahman influence is accepted in the area. It is one of the trade offs. You may not get the most per pound on selling price, but you have more pounds to sell (environmental difference).

I convinced my dad to buy a halfblood Simbrah (1/2SM-1/2BR) bull back in 1983, to use over our herd of mostly black-baldy cows. Those were the very best calves they ever produced on that old UCLA(Upper Corner of Lower Alabama - Lee Co.) farm.
Lucked out, too, as he was definitely calving ease... heifer-safe... used him for 4-5 years and never had to pull a calf by him.