simangus or balancer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

which bull would be better on braunvieh cattle simangus or balancer if you want to sell your steers and keep your heifers.

My opinion only. Since they would both have pretty much the same maternal characteristics, whatever blood lines you could find in either one that really blows your dress up would be the way to go.
Granted I've only been attending Gelbvieh and Simmenthal sales for about 5 years, but it seems that the Gelbvieh association has paid a lot more attention to udder and teat quality then the Simmenthal folks have. A couple of years ago I commented to the president of the MO Simmenthal association that to me both breeds pretty much filled the same hole but that Gelbvieh had better udders and teats. He agreed that not enough attention is/was being paid to udders and teats by Simmenthal breeders. That may be a strictly MO thing but you might want to figure that into your equation.

dun

cleav88":3mn84z2a said:
which bull would be better on braunvieh cattle simangus or balancer if you want to sell your steers and keep your heifers.

Balance would be your best bet. Ther Gelbvieh in the heifers will make them real good milkers.

from those two I will pick Simmangus, but as Dun said both composite fullfill the same niche, or just go with straight Simmental.
If you are A.I. you could use Tarentaise and if you are not a color fan you could try Normande, Braunvieh is very similar in quality and yield grade to both of these breeds.

Beefy":8n1cxgfl said:
I'd go with SimAng in this instance, for what its worth.
beefy what is your reason for going with simangus. do simangus cows get larger then balancer cows. wich breed gives the most milk.

personal preference only. they are basically the same i just like simmentals better than gelbviehs.

txshowmom":a8rv6cxv said:
Balance would be your best bet. Ther Gelbvieh in the heifers will make them real good milkers.

Simangus would be your best bet. the Simmental in the heifers will make them REALLY good milkers. and fertile. there are your facts.

and i changed my mind, i dont like gelbviehs at all now.

i'd like to give a shout out to WildBill. Thanks for reading! i guess i took it for granted that everyone would know "personal preference" means that its my opinion. next time i'll just say "my opinion is" or " i like _____ better" instead of throwing out my fancy vocabulary.

I'd also like to point out that no one even asked for factual evidence.

Latest posts