Simangus, Balancer, Limflex , or BraunAngus bulls on heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak

Reaction score
Are composite bulls such Simangus,Balancers,Limflex, or Braunangus used on heifers much in small one bull cow herds where heifers are retained and the same bull has to used on heifers and cows?

SimAngus and Balancer bulls have been used on heifers with no issues assuming they're calving ease bulls.

(Sorta) as Muddy says ... it's all dependent upon the bull.

How big are the heifers?

What phenotype are the calves? Long and lean, or built like bowling balls?

My preference to use on heifers would be purebred Angus, that being said I do know some folks that have used Simmental and Sim Angus on their heifers. I think there are several high accuracy calving ease Sim Angus bulls listed in semen catalogs. Probably Balancer and Limflex would be ok if they are from calving ease stock. I would advise that all heifers should be watched closely at calving and would personally be a little more concerned if bred to any of those crosses. I would be very concerned about using the Braunvieh influence, I don't know anything about the breed, but I understand that birthweights tend to be high.

I'm sure lots of folks do it, but I can't see it being a good idea. Why add another set of variables to the equation when you don't have to. Crossbreeding has some interesting results, both good and bad at times. I want the calves from our heifers as predictable as reasonably possible.

I don't get the whole crossbred bull fad, and I think it's just that, a fad. We've owned some half-blood bulls and the offspring are seldom as impressive as the bull. I love 2 and 3 way cross cows, but feel a mongrel bull doesn't have the potential heterosis boost of a purebred bull of another breed. And that opinion is based solely off my weigh slips and bank account, with no breed sponsorships or university bias.

As previously stated, it depends upon the bull - and you can never totally discount what the heifer has behind her. Have seen some 100+# calves by an Angus bull that's noted for 'sleep-all-night' calving ease.
There are some Angus bulls that are not suitable for use on heifers, from the outset.
I've used several purebred Simmental sires on heifers, with no issues - but I've selected those with high CED epds...and most of those bulls also have had WW/YW epds well above breed average, so I've not felt like I 'gave up' anything in the growth department, other than the fact that the typical first-calf heifer's calf is gonna wean off 60-70 lbs lighter than that of a 5-6 yr old cow.
Used a little homebred SimAngus bull on heifers and for cleanup behind AI last fall - the calves are small, as I expected; he'd have been safe on any decently-grown heifer.
Have no experience with Balancer or LimFlex, but I'm sure there are bulls that are totally heifer-safe.
Have used several Shorthorn sires over the years that are suitable for heifers...including one that I'd say is safe for ANY heifer.

Just finished calving out a group of cows bred to a couple of older Braunvieh sires (Northstar Vernon, Silverwood Dragon). No calving issues, most of the calves are fairly small. But... I intentionally bred older proven cows that would be calving in August... anticipating that birth weights would be smaller than if they'd been born in March. It was our first trial with Braunvieh... I'm not scared of the birthweight or calving ease, now - at least on these two bulls...but I'm still not gonna breed heifers to them. But... there are calving-ease Braunvieh sires out there, and the right BraunAngus or BeefBuilder would probably be fine for most heifers.

Remember that heterosis doesn;t start at birth. Unless the bulls are extra special calving ease bulls I wouldn;t use them on heifers.

We use Balancer bulls on occasion when we are short on bull power, but I prefer Purebred Angus bulls on heifers, more predictability.

The Balancer bull that we use I wouldn't use on heifers as he sires the wrong type of calf. Type is as important as weight. I consider both when choosing a heifer bull. I'm sure there are Balancer bulls that will work. A person has to find them.

cfpinz":1a792ilf said:
I'm sure lots of folks do it, but I can't see it being a good idea. Why add another set of variables to the equation when you don't have to. Crossbreeding has some interesting results, both good and bad at times. I want the calves from our heifers as predictable as reasonably possible.

I don't get the whole crossbred bull fad, and I think it's just that, a fad. We've owned some half-blood bulls and the offspring are seldom as impressive as the bull. I love 2 and 3 way cross cows, but feel a mongrel bull doesn't have the potential heterosis boost of a purebred bull of another breed. And that opinion is based solely off my weigh slips and bank account, with no breed sponsorships or university bias.

I agree with the whole crossbred bull thing. Have a limflex that just hasn't cut the mustard and can't keep the weight on him either that I like. No matter how you slice it, they are crossbred and the calves won't be as predictable as purebreds. We use easy calving angus on our heifers, and don't worry about pulling calves; they get checked twice a day and I love just going to find one off by herself with a new baby curled up on the ground. These percentage bulls just don't make alot of sense to me especially if you have a mixed herd, the calves can't be all that uniform unless the bull is extremely prepotent, but you still have to factor in the variables of the different cows.

WalnutCrest":3f8bawjh said:

How big are the heifers?

They are built like bowling balls.

Post Oak":vg7yc4zn said:
WalnutCrest":vg7yc4zn said:

How big are the heifers?

Use a jersey or a longhorn if they are bowling balls.

Ebenezer":7xghpdr6 said:
Post Oak":7xghpdr6 said:
WalnutCrest":7xghpdr6 said:

How big are the heifers?

Use a jersey or a longhorn if they are bowling balls.

Sorta.

Find a bull that makes them long and lean. Jersey and longhorn will work. There are others that will, too. You'll need to ask lots of questions, and ideally see some pictures / live calves.

So, to answer your question, yes, you can have the same bull for heifers and cows, but that bull may take a good amount of looking around.

LOL, straight breeding Angus seems the simple obvious answer to one bull small guys like myself, but damn letting that heterosis slip away.

I guess it depends on whether or not you're willing to think outside the box or not.

If you want heterosis and calves that arrive with the shape of a piece of string (but still grow well), all around. These bulls exist.