Sim EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

Supa Dexta

Reaction score
Off numbers alone, what do you think of these 2 yearling simmental bulls. And while we're at it - possible worth, off those numbers. This is a test.

jas.png

Tan.png

Fullblood, Purebred, or % cattle? EPD's change for each they appear to be Fullblood to me and put API and TI on there makes it easier to look at...

Very similar bulls. Calving ease with some added birthweight if that's something you want. Above average growth and lower milk. Range/Low input kind of bull for keeping back heifers.

A lot of other factors for me to look at before I pull the pin on a bull tho.

I don't know squat about Simmental epds, but looking at them as yearling bulls and I would pretty much have to throw them out and look at the bulls as there just isn't enough differences other than a little CE and REA and they are both in the upper 20% for both traits within the breed. With yearling bulls and the low accuracy of epds, there just isn't enough difference to separate these two bulls on paper.
Now for me I would have to look into how much data that supports those epds. Does one have several hundred head of complete data collected on the sire and maternal grandsire and their lineage or is it simply a mating of extremes where the epds are averaged to come up with the great epd profile supported by several generations of cattle that just have a handful of data collected on them in the previous 3 generations.

Should be pretty functional type bulls. Nothing too extreme. Good calving ease w/ top quarter or better growth. W/ a YW in 90's, daughters might mature bigger than you like, depends what you're looking for.

Bull I'm currently using, Shorthorn but same base: CE 4.0 BW 2.5 WW 62 YW 73 MILK 19 MW 50 MCE 2.4

Latest posts