Sim-angus / Simmental over tiger stripes

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
Brother in law has a nice set of certified f1 cows. Hudgins sired out of brite ranch hereford females . He ran an angus bull on them as heifers and keep it for this go around as well. He likes his calves but is looking to get a little something different. He is intrigued by a black sim-angus or black Simmental . Anybody done this cross or seen it? He wants to sell replacement females and get as much lbs as possible on steers.

Both SimAngus and Sim should be throws nice calves for your brother in law, tho I preferred use a SimAngus for replacements.

Gators Rule":22ueryeg said:
On F1 cross, I'd go PB Simmental

If the only options are Simmenthal and SimAngus I agree completely, otherwise a Blonde d`acuitaine, Limousine, Charolais would be good.

midtn,
In my earlier life, I was a mixed-animal practitioner in Giles Co. Beefmasters were predominant, but we were starting to see pushback against cattle with ear. Several of my BM clients began putting Simmental bulls on their cows - and got phenomenal calves. This was before everything turned black, so they were using red/yellow SM bulls.
Don't think your BIL can go wrong with a purebred SM or a SimAngus.

I've seen the cows. Best two words to describe them are fancy, and milk wagons. I'd go for the frame and put a black sim on them.

If he is selling replacement females. Tell him not to overthink it and just put those Tiger stripes in with a good Hereford bull. Tennessee and areas north only need 1/4 Brahman or so. Let the person that buys his female replacements get the hetorosis and don't let him use it all for himself. I also think you will have a far more uniform group. And some of the best cows I have seen have been 3/4 hereford and 1/4 Brahman. Then let the person that buys them come back with the Limo or Simm bull or god forbid a high growth angus bull. But if he is trying to get the most for his steers then going with what you guys are talking about may be better. But if I am buying replacements you are starting to get allot of ingrediants in the pot and how do I get that hetorisis kick from my bull on his replacements after he has already put Brahman, Hereford, Angus and Simmental in the mix. Where am I left to go? Char, Chi, Blonde or some Italian bull?

The 3rd cross should be terminal. Breed those Brafords to terminal sires and reinvest in new F1's when the time comes.

bulldurham":1iq2kykh said:
The 3rd cross should be terminal. Breed those Brafords to terminal sires and reinvest in new F1's when the time comes.
Nothing wrong with a four way crossbreeding which works just fine.

Some things 'work just fine.' Some things work better.

Why are double-cross hybrid plants not used as seeds?

bulldurham":2p2gzb1z said:
Some things 'work just fine.' Some things work better.

Why are double-cross hybrid plants not used as seeds?
Our commercial chickens are a result as a four way cross and I believe that commercial pig industry is using 4 way crossbreeding as well.

Thanks for all the input and thanks for the complements on the cows Bigfoot. I hope the heifers you got last week are settling in well.

midtncattle":3e0j2qt4 said:
Thanks for all the input and thanks for the complements on the cows Bigfoot. I hope the heifers you got last week are settling in well.

Probably kick em out of the weaning shed in about a week.

Red Bull Breeder":cg1lukh7 said:
Char bull on the tigers will pound the scales. Makes a nice yellow calf that sells as good here as any.

Agreed. That is what most are doing around here with great results