Silly Holstein question

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
OK I bred my Holstein for the first time. It sounds like I am going to have more milk than I and the calf can handle. Is this correct? Do I have to buy another calf to help with the milk situation or will one calf do the job, and me milking her from time to time? I have not done this before so I am asking for help. I have until next April to figure this all out.

I'd get a second calf. Maybe even a third. JMO. Depending on what her udder turns out like you may or may not even want/be able to milk her by hand. FYI.

You bred her for the first time, does that mean she's a heifer, or a cow you just bought? If an older cow, does she have problems that would reduce her production, like lost quarters?

Many healthy holsteins will give 12+ gallons of milk daily. You need 4 or 5 calves to handle that. And newborn calves don't take enough so you should milk her out. Otherwise you risk mastitis.

Healthy holsteins are best for dairies, not family cows, IMHO.

She is a heiffer. If I just grass feed her will she produce that much milk? I heard the production goes down if she is not fed any grain. What is a good Home cow?

I tihink they meant holsteins are best suited for dairies where they will be milked down several times a day not for the person who just has one or two cows as pets.

lancemart":nzdedes9 said:
She is a heiffer. If I just grass feed her will she produce that much milk? I heard the production goes down if she is not fed any grain. What is a good Home cow?

Depends on how much milk you'll drink and how tired you;re arms and hands will get milking. A high milk producing beef breed, Gelbvieh, Simmenthal will produce plenty of milk and still raise a calf. I had a customer with 12 kids and they milked a Holstein and used every drop of milk, our here neighbors only have 6 kids at home now and a couple of goats is enough milk for them. Hand milking a Holstein, even if the teats are a decent size ofr hand milking, will take a while and it's awfully tiring until you get well practiced and fit.

If I just grass feed her will she produce that much milk? I heard the production goes down if she is not fed any grain. What is a good Home cow?

Yes, production will drop without grain, however, if her genetics push her to milk beyond the energy she's getting, you'll have problems. Some cows will milk themselves to the bone. If 'good' genetics designed for commercial dairies, you really need to pour the groceries to her. Kind of need to know what you're doing.

What makes a good home cow? Depends on what you want. How much milk do you want or need? Do you want beef, and how much? Do you want to sell anything? Selling raw milk can be illegal.

Jerseys are popular home cows, as they're smaller than Holsteins. But even they can give 6-8 gallons daily, and high production makes more prone to problems like milk fever, mastitis, etc. I prefer a beef/dairy cross. I currently have a Jersey/Lowline angus cross, which I breed to lowline for a beefy calf. I take 1 gallon daily from her milking once in the morning, calf gets the rest. She's a small cow (half the size of Holstein?), easy keeper. Gallon a day is plenty for our family of four.

Yes, you could milk a beef cow if you only need a gallon or two, but I'm guessing she might take more feed to maintain a bigger body, rather than putting it toward milk.

Latest posts