Silencer on gun

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
What are the Texas laws for using a silencer on a gun to hunt? I thought it was illegal ,a friend told me it was not.

Brute 23":z64mt0k4 said:
Nope. You can use them when ever you want. Been like that a couple years now.
But there are regulations about acquiring and posessing them. You can;t just make one or go out and buy one without the proper paper work.

dun":1bp04zom said:
Brute 23":1bp04zom said:
But there are regulations about acquiring and posessing them. You can;t just make one or go out and buy one without the proper paper work.

Yes. Im sorry. I thought the question was referring to hunting with a supressor, not acquiring one.

I deer hunt with myne and it's great. I can slip the gun out the window and pop a hog or coyote and not worry about disturbing my, or any one else's, deer hunting.

Brute 23":20kvp46i said:
Yes. Im sorry. I thought the question was referring to hunting with a supressor, not acquiring one.

I deer hunt with myne and it's great. I can slip the gun out the window and pop a hog or coyote and not worry about disturbing my, or any one else's, deer hunting.
The question was about hunting but I wanted to insure that the OP was aware of the legalities of having/using one.

Brute 23":1u6occpo said:
dun":1u6occpo said:
Brute 23":1u6occpo said:

What caliber rifle do you use and just how quiet is it? I want one bad so I can shoot hogs without running all of them off.

I run my supressor mainly on my 6.8 AR for hogs.

How much the hogs run depends more on how much the hogs have been shot at. Doesn't matter how quiet you get if the have been shot at they will all scatter when one drops. If its a big open area, like when I hunt the grain fields, a lot of times some of them will run and stop. Then you can get a follow up shot.

In a situation where you are hunting a feeder they are more likely to come back or that you get another group behind them when you are supressed.

On the 6.8 you can here the action of the AR more than any thing. You can also hear a little crack down range. There is no boom.

If your 80 yds from me and I shoot you won't hear any thing.

i believe it's finland that pushes the use of silencers as it's more humane for the dogs that are with the hunter and less likely to disturb non hunters with the noise. that's a law i can live with.

Aren't there two BANGs when we pull the trigger? One is the charge of powder going off and the other is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

My suppressed Ruger 10/22 sounds like someone spitting. Using sub-sonic (below the sound barrier) bullets.

With my suppressed .223, it's quieter but there is still a bang from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

A suppressed 300 black out shooting 220gr. bullets sub-sonic is real quiet. But the bullet also drops a foot at a 100yds.

Latest posts