Silage for beef cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

we feed both to our beef cows tehy get corn silage in morning and wrapped hay all they can eat (spoiled eh) we feed run the augre out until every cow fits in

What type of baleage? alfalfa?

I'd have to ask to see what we've fed. Not sure how much it'll help you though as it's fed to dairy cows, not beef. FWIW, I know we put the silage up at 55 to low 60s in moisture. Boss said the times he's baled it with higher %s the milk had a really bad flavor. Guess the calves on beef cows don't mind much though. :p

THis stuff was baled high, I understand that, I am making a transition into the whole baleage area. Bought a new Silage Baler this year and wondering if I can replace hay pound for pound with baleage? We figure 3 tons of dry hay per winter per head and it usually takes care of things and we also keep an additional 20% back as reserves for poor pasture. I can have a much better feed by going to baleage.

We feed corn silage to our cows in the winter after the calves are weaned. We feed approx. 40-45 lbs per cow. I like to feed about 5 lbs per head of straw or poor quality hay along with the corn silage. Corn silage is nice, but if you feed much more than 40 lbs per cow they get fat. But at 40 lbs. they are not totally satisfied either...they act hungry. So we feed the straw and poor quality hay with the silage. Now once they have their calves, we increase the hay to a better quality and increase it to 10-20 lbs per cow rather than the 5-10 lbs and maintain the silage at 40-45 lbs. until the silage runs out and then we feed all hay until we can pasture them. I read that it takes about 3 times the weight of corn silage as compared to dry hay (ie. replace 1 lb of hay with 3 lbs of corn silage). I cannot advise you on the baleage. Hope this helps.

Latest posts