Signs she is close to calving

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
#75 would not get up and eat dinner. I took some hay to her and sat with her, she ate everything. I felt her bag and she squirted milk. Yes she is pretty docile, did not try to kick me or anything. Plus she was still laying down. Can I assume 24 hours or do they give milk well before calving. She did finally get up and went to eat, but we scooted her up to the little pasture without any trouble to keep a closer eye on her. Also, everyone can start calving on Monday, so she is close enough.

They'll have milk upto around 2 weeks before calving "sometimes". Other times not until just before or after calving. The discharge and raised looking tail head are better indicators. But they can be off by a week or 2 also.

My 2 cents, it sounds like she is close and yes that means maybe still a couple of weeks away, maybe in the morning. The best thing you can do is leave her alone, let her feel safe for calving, if you are "on her a lot" it will do more harm then good, birthing cows want to be alone, not bothered. I move my "close to calving cows" up to a small pasture infront of the house, I use bi-nocs and a cup of coffee to check them from the window.... In my underwear.... Oh! :shock: TMI. :shock: . The more you mess with them the harder it is for the mother. Check her but give her the fieeling of security, she doesn't want humans until she needs it.

My :2cents:

Good advice. That is what I try to tell my husband. Just leave them alone until you see they need help.

They are right, the cattle go off by themselves for a reason.
Though I do have to say, one of my old show cows actually comes up to me when she is calving. Last year I was sitting in the pasture on the 4 wheeler, she walked over and stuck her head in on me, then laid down in front of the wheeler and pushed the calf out. :)
But she is a pretty special cow. ;-)

"Special" cows might want to be around you while calving, but they're the exception. Most of mine want some privacy too.. and some are downright anal about it... I check on them, see feet, they get up, I walk off and 3 minutes later I hear a bellow telling me "It's here!.. I gotcha"

Latest posts