Signs heifer isn't accepting calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Had a first calf heifer calve yesterday. She licked and cleaned the calf off just fine. However when the calf tries to nurse she only allows the calf to nurse for a couple seconds and pulls away from the calf? Should I worry? I will get a video. And post it.

as long as she licked and cleaned the calf, she has claimed it as her calf. her udder may be sore being a first calf heifer. hopefully the calf got enough colostrum the first 12 hours. as long as the calf is persistent and gets enough milk to satisfy itself, I wouldn't worry about it. once she figures out that her udder feels better after the calf sucks, she will be more likely to let it suck longer. If you are worried to the point that you are uncomfortable not assisting you could try giving the calf a bottle to see how hungry it is. good luck

If you can, lock the pair up for a few days. If the hfr can't get away from her calf, the calf will get more aggressive as it gets older.

Yep. Keep a weather eye on the horizon!
I always enjoy watching the heifer dance.
Round n round n round they go....
Glad you enjoy it. Nothing stresses me more than watching a dang heifer "dance". But I do calve out my heifers at the barn so if I have any concerns about whether the calf has nursed, I shut them together and watch or run her through the chute.

Glad you enjoy it. Nothing stresses me more than watching a dang heifer "dance". But I do calve out my heifers at the barn so if I have any concerns about whether the calf has nursed, I shut them together and watch or run her through the chute.
O yeah!
The ones I've watched usually dont dance too long. Just til they get it all figured out.

Latest posts