Sign of Calving = None.

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
*sigh*

Some never show any signs do they... My friend was doing a project with a cow and had to be there for the birth to take rectal temperatures etc.

We went down to the RAC (ruminent animal centre) last night at about 1:20 and had to wait till 1:40 for security to come and let us in... we get in the barn and the cow is standing there eating, hard as a rock in the back end, no mucous, no swelling or dilation of the vulva, no wax on the teats... in fact, I think we woke her up when we went into the barn... so we left and figured we would come check on her later. We left the barn at around 2AM, and would be back in a couple hours to check again. Well wouldn't she just get a call at 3AM from someone who went in early for milking saying there was a bull calf of the ground... The friggen cow had calved 45 minutes after we left...

Is there ANY other signs we could have looked for!? I would never have thought in a million years that that cow would have calved before the morning, when she had to go in to feed the sheep, let alone 45 minutes later... *sigh*

TCFC

Latest posts