Sighting in a Ruger 25-06

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I've got this gun I've had since new dialed in at @125-150 yards but I'm taking it Antelope hunting and I need to get it dialed in at @250-300 yards I'm thinking.....how would you do that ? Pick the bullets and hope it likes them but aside from that I'm kind of lost. Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":2d5wfku7 said:
I've got this gun I've had since new dialed in at @125-150 yards but I'm taking it Antelope hunting and I need to get it dialed in at @250-300 yards I'm thinking.....how would you do that ? Pick the bullets and hope it likes them but aside from that I'm kind of lost. Thanks in advance.

1. Choose the ammunition you will be hunting with.

2. Use that ammunition for sighting in.

3. Find a range with a solid benchrest.

4. Use a tripod or sandbags to rest your rifle.

5. Shoot a target at 300 yards.

6. Dial the windage and elevation screws until your bullet is striking at the Point Of Aim.

Done. You are then sighted in and adjusted for a Point of Impact at 300 yards.

25-06 is excellent for pronghorn antelope. I prefer a .270 Win. But they are very close. Good luck.

What I would do is find a bullet your rifle likes and that groups well. I would then buy/make at least two boxes of these so you will have the same "lot". I'd then check your bullet's speed with a chronograph. Knowing the velocity and the grain and type bullet you can then use an online ballistics calculator to figure how much adjustment you'll need if you want to zero to 200 or 300. (I'd set mine at 200) Once zeroed run the ballistics calculator and make yourself a cheat sheet for moa adjustments for ranges further than this.

Don't mean to be splitting hairs but the elevation could play a big roll in your ballistics so if you are hunting somewhere other than where you plan on zeroing your rifle this could mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

What I'm trying to point out is if you zero your rifle in Austin at 400 feet elevation your velocity will be considerably slower than it would be if you are hunting in the high plains due to thinner air. Your velocity could easily increase by 300 ft/sec - essentially turning your round into a magnum which could make a big difference your accuracy if you are shooting at some distance. To compensate you can go to the closest NOAA weather site to where you are going to be hunting and plug in the atmospheric pressure and elevation and make another cheat sheet for where you'll be hunting and make your adjustments accordingly.

True Grit Farms":1tda7reh said:
Kingfisher":1tda7reh said:
My head hurts.....;)
A range finder of some sort is as important as a scope. IMO
At that distance 250-300 yards a Range Finder is almost a must. At a 1000 feet is hard to check out the target and holding a gun scope up to your eye will get old quick. Also the finder will tell you distance of the shot and you can judge better whether to shoot or not.

Kingfisher":lrkio4yt said:
True Grit Farms":lrkio4yt said:
Kingfisher":lrkio4yt said:
My head hurts.....;)
A range finder of some sort is as important as a scope. IMO

Oh yea. That on the list of things I need to bring for sure.

Where will you be hunting? If you are in prairie land you might find the rangefinder disappointing.

Kingfisher":35imlfeq said:

Sweet..25-06 is flat enough you should be able to to zero around 200 yards and be on vitals from muzzle out to about 300. I would educate my self on ballistics. If you need room to stretch that thing out come on up. I still owe you a steak..

2-2.5 in high at 100yd and you'll be good at 300, practice with the same stuff you hunt with . I wish I could go.

Latest posts