Side note on downed cow

Help Support CattleToday:

chiefgriz

Reaction score
Its been a lot of years since my father called a vet out to the property because of a downed cow. I remember it happening only once. As I recall, the cow was a little bloated, and he ran a tube down her throat. I do remember the vet was not able to save her, and refused payment. Is that still a common practice, or are those days gone. Just curious

Those days are gone my friend! Had a vet out for bloat not too long ago. He said upfront - don't think she'll make it - it's your call on what you want to do. Of course I talked hubby into trying. Cow didn't make it. We still paid for services rendered - regardless of the outcome.

Yea I know Caustic - if I only could relive the past. One time I let my heart overrule my head. :roll:

Farmhand":mn07u2cd said:
Yea I know Caustic - if I only could relive the past. One time I let my heart overrule my head. :roll:

I am totally disappointed you took the hobby route, we are going to have another Jed and Ellie May talk.

My vet says those that are alive in the morning stand a better chance of making it than those that aren't.
I had some vet work on one today. I asked him if he thought it'd help. He said "beats me, your guess is as good as mine". He is a good vet but realizes, as I do ,that for most situations breeders know as much as him. It's like going to the Dr.,they usually tell you what you already know.

Caustic Burno":3tnsk6ul said:
Farmhand":3tnsk6ul said:

I am totally disappointed you took the hobby route, we are going to have another Jed and Ellie May talk.
Ouch, that hurt. Justifiable but still painfull. Just don't take that talk out behind the woodshed ok?

ollie'":7mb1gw4t said:
My vet says those that are alive in the morning stand a better chance of making it than those that aren't.
Love it! I'm going to remember that one. Mind if I borrow that from time to time?

I think it is certainly applicable. You can use it anytime. :D

I know someone who had a mare colic 2 or 3 years ago, took her into the vet, one over night stay and the horse died that night - $800 vet bill.

Them old country vets are a thing of the past its all business now. the majority of the vets now hate working on cattle.thanks in part to the cattleman himself.most feel they didnt spend all that money on collage to play cowboy on some farm with no working facilitys.are waiting till the animal is near death before they call

Recently ONE vet had the opposite remark. He stated, "Cow people pay their bills." The dog and cat breeders always want to "pay it out." This vet also said has gone to the field to work and said, "I'll be back in a minute" and went home to get mobile equipment (e.i. chutes, pens, gates).

Latest posts