Side effects from immunizations- neck lump and ear infected

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a 14 month old Hereford heifer, that I've had since December. She was given her Bang's shot and eartag ( I assume thats what it is)prior to my purchasing her.

After a couple of months she developed an infection at the site of the Bang's tag, and she also developed a firm golf-ball sized lump in her neck, which I figure is from a vaccination.
I've put ointment on this ear for a couple of weeks, with no progress of healing, and the lump in her neck is still the same as it was when it developed. How long do these lumps last? Any suggestions for future vaccinations to keep this from happening? The ear was oozing some pus, both from the inside and the outside, and has some scar tissue built up around the metal ear-tag itself, but still has not healed at the site of the peircing.
She is pasture-fed, minerals always available. Nice shiny coat, wormed a few months ago with Ivomec pour-on. Seems healthy o/w. Any suggestions/comments for either the lump or the ear problem?

Thanks so much,
Susie

Well this is strictly a guess but here's my thoughts. The infected ear at the tag site made me think about when I got my ears pierced. Turns out I am allergic to all but one type of metal earrings. I used rubbing alcohol to clear up the infection. Don't know if this could apply to cattle or not but the rubbing alcohol might help. As to the lump at the injection site - I am thinking that it is going to be there forever. Think I have heard of some going away after a long while but a lot of them are there for keeps. The fact that it is firm leads me to think it's a keeper. Like I said though this is all a guess.

We have used plain old peroxide to clear up infection such as you are explaining. Put her in the chute and wash her ear with peroxide til it quits foaming, then apply an antiseptic cream to help keep the flies off and further protect it.

You can treat the lump, or your vet can if you prefer. Insert a needle attached to an empty syringe into the lump and draw back to see if there is fluid in it. If so, a quarter to half inch incision will allow the fluid to drain. Squirt some scarlet oil into the incision. Keep the incision open until the fluid production slacks, about a week. You'll have to squeeze the lump daily if the animal doesn't break it open for you, and treat with scarlet oil daily as well. Since you are messing with the natural healing process by keeping the incision open, you might want her on antibiotics during the time it's open.

If it's not a show animal or something you hope to get premium money for as a breeding animal, I'd treat it by ignoring it.

Latest posts