Sick Zebu Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

mjbrasberger":1uu3mmp7 said:
I agree. We have a good vet by us but he his large animals is limited to treating horses. He did look at an alpaca once for us. Make me wish I was a vet.

Just a word of advice: if you happen to find a good cattle vet, try to establish a good relationship with them (i.e. buy some vaccines, wormer, etc from them), so that in times of emergency he will be more likely to be there for your stock instead of putting you on the back burner.

Also, I would try to find a neighbor (mentor) that has been in the business for a while. Many times they have probably already been thru the situations you will face, and they can give some good advice and treatment options.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. it really does help when you have good vets. The group I go to is very good, There are 3 of them, I know one of them owns cattle himself. They are very good when it comes to questions and answers. I always have a lot of questions. The people are real good on these boards, also. Bye Merry

How can we tell ahead of time in the future. Does this just happen or is there something that causes this? We have only had cows since 2004. We had a bull and 2 heifers. We have 2 heifers, a calf and one on the way now and we do not want to lose another animal. This was a expensive learning experience. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Shocked
Janet

Don't worry, next time it will be something else. But in general learning "input" and "output", not only volumes, but textures, colors etc is important for ascessing health. I drive my family nuts with my "poop" obsession when they or any of the animals is sick.

This is why it can be important to have a pen to isolate sick animals - so you can make observations about what and how much they are eating, drinking and excreting.

Thanks alot for the info we have a pin to pin the animals up it was just a sudden thing when he died. The vet said he was ok then a few days later he was gone. Will be more aggressive on having the vet run test we asked him to but he said oh he is fine. Type of answer.

These overly optomistic vets are making me appreciate the old local Doc even more. He always said anything remotely beyond routine was gonna die. "Wull, I'll give it a try but that ole sob is just gonna die anyhow" I don't think anything he ever treated for me ever did, but it always nice to have him be wrong. :eek:

Latest posts