Sick young calf- Holstien-4-5 months old

Help Support CattleToday:

I ordered that booster from the farm site, and my daughter said he drank another gallon of water, that makes it two since 6 am--she just gave him another. He is nibbleing on his hay and finished his grain. I hope we can lick this soon, I am worried, the more I nurse him, the more I get attached. He just cuddles up if you scratch under his neck. Awful sweet these little cow babies:)

Pat--who would have never had a cow if I hadnt married the Dane.

plarsen":2e75zemh said:
I ordered that booster from the farm site, and my daughter said he drank another gallon of water, that makes it two since 6 am--she just gave him another. He is nibbleing on his hay and finished his grain. I hope we can lick this soon, I am worried, the more I nurse him, the more I get attached. He just cuddles up if you scratch under his neck. Awful sweet these little cow babies:)

Pat--who would have never had a cow if I hadnt married the Dane.

You said he had a cough? I would try a drug that treats a respiratory infection, perhaps La 200 or Excenel, he could have a mild case of pneumonia which would cause fever. Also aspirin will bring that fever down.

GMN

I did not get to go to TSC last night for extra meds. Luckily he has stayed about 102.8 With just one spike. He is eating and drinking heartily now, and I am getting that accelerator stuff in the mail as well as the Hydrolyte the vet gave me. I do think adding another antibiotic would help, so I am planning on picking that up today. I had to run down state to pick up a cat that Nueter Scooter had been caring for the last two weeks. She is a barn cat that ripped out her stiches. Those vets drove 200miles and picked her up, did surgery and brought her with them on their travels throughout the state. Well traveled barn cat now.

Pat

plarsen, I sure admire your determination with this calf and hope that he makes it. I don't think too many people would stick with it like you have. Good for you!

Thanks Gale, I am sure some of the real cattle people would think I was nuts, but then again, I have read many threads where they have done alot for a calf too. I STILL have a temp of 104 at night, got the Tylan 200-gave him 6 ml as directed. He is running from my needles at this point;) Where are other good injection sites, besides the neck? Not much muscle on the poor little man. I wonder if he makes it, he will always be undersized? He is a pet, so it would be fine, I just wondered.

With a horse it is basically the DNAa and adequate nutrition, thinner is actually better than too heavy with a horse baby. You ruin their joints other wise. Also- if its shipping fever, or mild pnumonia, how long does this last?

Pat

Hi i raise holstein bull calves and know how tough they can be :) I lost one this year to pneumonia and another got an infection after castration but he came through. You do everything you can for the little guys.

For other injection sights you can do it on either side of the neck, shoulder, or of course the rump. Mine never seemed to like me after a poked in the butt but you do what you have to ^_^

I wouldnt be to worried about if he would be undersized. Fat and muscle would be things to work on in a butcher steer. But he is going to be a pet so you dont need to worry. Your little on is still young and will do a lot more growing.

He is doing better, thanks for the support:)

His temp still goes up but he was down to 101.5

I have some Accellerator (sp) coming. Do you ever think the manure gets runny from Probios? It seemed to when I used it. I do have new hay also. I should just stick with one thing-that might be better, but he is pretty happy and I am done with the injections for now. Thank God, I hate poking him. My horses barely feel them, they dont even react, but he is smaller and thinned skinned;)

I really like him alot- they are an expensive pet though. I could feed a horse on his feed intake! But I have 8 of them, so what difference does one cow make? Not too much to my economy, but it sure makes a difference to him;)

Pat

Hi,

Harold is doing just fine, he is now gelded and dehorned. He is a very good leader and gentle. I dont turn my back on much, but I dont think this is a mean animal. I will watch my back though, and thanks for the book llist. I will get them:)

pat larsen

Good for you! You have done a great job of getting this litle guy up and running!

I would like to know how he is doing now.

I would also like to add...- bull calves are casterated and then called steers. Gelding is the term used for equines. Also, you should not give shots in the rump area of cattle, as this can cause defects in the finished product, ie. meat. This is a beef quality issue. All injections should be given in the neck, switch from one side to the other. The other place that can be used on occasion if needed would be the area of skin below/behind the elbow - not in the brisket though. Not trying to bust anyone's chops but we as producers need to make every effort possible we can to make our product (beef eating experience) better for the end user (consumer).

Hi all,

I couldnt have done all this without all of your good advice. The vet was very impressed with Harold when he came to castrate and dehorn him. At the sale barn where I got him, many didnt think he had a chance to survive, he was so sick and a vet from Southeren IN also gave me advice and encouragement. She had rescued a lot of sick little bull calves herself last year.

Harold is now turned out with our donkeys, mule and a couple of horses. He leads well and loves to play in the barn aisle when all the horses come and I let him have the run of the barn. He is real curious about the other animals, likes the Zebu we have (an anchient petting zoo rescue) He bumped into me last night coming in and stopped immediatly, like a thoughtful horse would. I think if he is brushed, and walked daily, which he is, he will stay a good pet for us. We are not planning on eating Harold, my husband always wanted a steer or a cow and now he has one:) I will try and post a picture, I may or may not have any luck, you know how that goes. Id like to take some new ones today, we have a foot of snow, and no school! (I am a teacher, and we are worse than the kids, I know;)

Pat

Harold rocks! Thanks for the update and the picture. :D

Alice

:nod: What Alice said.
Harold is adorable, good luck with him and hopefully you have many happy years together.
There is no better lawn mower than a cow/steer.

Thanks so much! I still will take some new pics today, but here is one with Big Will looking at him, He is larger now, as this was a couple weeks before christmas. He seemed to have a growth spurt around christmas.

Pat

Don't give the calf a bottle. Talk to your vet she is right it might be viral diarea, or a list of other things. We used to raise holstiens and they get sick easy. Nuflor, Banimine, Genasin, and abunch more but talk to your vet. Hope your calf gets better.

i have almost the same problem but my calf got down for several days and now can't get up we pick it up but it is too weak to stay up long. it is eating alot of hay and feed so i believe it is better but its legs are asleep, any suggestions on getting it back strong enough to hold itself up?

thomas":31fbairq said:
i have almost the same problem but my calf got down for several days and now can't get up we pick it up but it is too weak to stay up long. it is eating alot of hay and feed so i believe it is better but its legs are asleep, any suggestions on getting it back strong enough to hold itself up?

This calf will need some IV fluids, dextrose for energy. Sometimes when they get down like that there legs do fall asleep, and you have to flip them from side to side a couple times a day. Does it have diarrhea or anything?

GMN

no it is solid. when we get it up its front legs are like they are numb the calf can't use them.

thomas":2elc40vr said:
no it is solid. when we get it up its front legs are like they are numb the calf can't use them.

Depending onhow much you want to spend on the calf, I would take him to the vet, get it on IV fluids, and a IV antibiotic. If not, put him on deliver, it will gel up the diarrhea, and tube him electolytes, mixed with milk replacer, for several days. I would give it, a antibiotic, Excenel, Nuflor, or straight Penicillen, and maybe Banamine. Not all of those antibiotics, just one. Kepp it warm in a dry place, and flip or lift it on a daily basis. Without its strength returned first and the diarrhea stopped, lifting will really not do too much good.

Good luck.

GMN

Latest posts