Sick Yearling

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I purchased a yearling calf that weighs approx 420lbs and is somewhat skinny. a couple of days after I got her home I noticed that she started to caugh. The next day her nose was running and the caugh was a lot worse. I gave her a shot for shipping fever. She does not seem to want to eat or drink much. Did notice her eating leaves off the ground this morning. She is up and walking around now but still look sick.

[email protected]

I don't know how to respond to this without sounding REALLY sarcastic. A weaned calf should weigh more than 420#. A yearling should weigh at least 800# - 1000#. She aught to be skinny at that weight. You get what you pay for. You purchased a poor doing, probably cronically ill animal. You need to take her temperature and continue treating her until at least a day or two after her fever is gone. "leaves off the ground" - offer her the best grass hay or green grass until she is healthy, then you need to start giving her grain - very little to start than increase it SLOWLY every week. Jeanne
> I purchased a yearling calf that
> weighs approx 420lbs and is
> somewhat skinny. a couple of days
> after I got her home I noticed
> that she started to caugh. The
> next day her nose was running and
> the caugh was a lot worse. I gave
> her a shot for shipping fever. She
> does not seem to want to eat or
> drink much. Did notice her eating
> leaves off the ground this
> morning. She is up and walking
> around now but still look sick.

[email protected]

we generally give la200 for shipping fever. some disagree, but i usually give new ones i buy thru the salebarn a shot whether they show signs of sickness or not.. any showing signs of sickness get more.. micotil or nuflor.. something like that.. you probably need to ask someone locally who can examine your calf, but sounds like that calf needs some type of antibiotic (you said it was coughing pretty bad). and a GOOD worming. then put it on some good grass/hay and keep an eye on it.. if you feed it any grain, ease into it.

i am by no means an expert.. but this has been my experience.. check with your vet, and good luck

gene

I purchased a yearling calf that
> weighs approx 420lbs and is
> somewhat skinny. a couple of days
> after I got her home I noticed
> that she started to caugh. The
> next day her nose was running and
> the caugh was a lot worse. I gave
> her a shot for shipping fever. She
> does not seem to want to eat or
> drink much. Did notice her eating
> leaves off the ground this
> morning. She is up and walking
> around now but still look sick.

[email protected]

have seen molasses do some amazing things for sick animals... don't know why, or if it will help you in this situation. We saved a heifer from last year who was a twin. She looks about the same as you are describing.... very small... and also sterile... more commonly known as a free martin. Has your heifer been bangs vaccinated?

[email protected]

Just to let all of you know that responded to my request for help. I checked on her this morning after giving a shot of LA200 on Sunday and she seems to be doing much better. Her nose is no longer running and the caugh is not as bad. I even noticed that she has began to drink and eat a little grass. She will not eat any type of hay or grain. Why, i dont know? I have tried all types of hay and several types of grain, with no luck. thanks for the help.

[email protected]

Latest posts