Sick world we live in!

Help Support CattleToday:

An interesting book, A Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel.

Illinois journalist and former Chicago Tribune legal editor Lee Strobel wrote the true story about his life from the 1980s and published the book (with the same name) in 1998. He applied his journalistic and legal skills to attempt to disprove his wife, Leslie's, unwavering, new belief in Christianity. After two years of analyses and with the threat of divorce, Strobel's journalistic journey ended with unexpected, life-altering results.

"I spent my entire career as a journalist, uncovering the truth, until the day my wife presented me with the biggest story of my life," explained the skeptical Strobel, who riffled through contradictory details of the Resurrection, looking for evidence, and who ultimately was brought to faith in the process.
Not only did his research prove the resurrection without a doubt but he was converted and became a Christian and is now a preacher. I listened to him bring a message the other morning on American Family Radio. I've read the book as well, I encourage anyone who doubts the resurrection to read it.

I have faith, but I have no use for organized religion or church. Snake oil salesmen...
It's sad that a lot of organized religion turns people that way. Just last night, I saw a video of Kenneth Copeland supposedly banishing Covid-19 and acting strange. Things like that set a bad example in my opinion.

An interesting book, A Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel.

Illinois journalist and former Chicago Tribune legal editor Lee Strobel wrote the true story about his life from the 1980s and published the book (with the same name) in 1998. He applied his journalistic and legal skills to attempt to disprove his wife, Leslie's, unwavering, new belief in Christianity. After two years of analyses and with the threat of divorce, Strobel's journalistic journey ended with unexpected, life-altering results.

"I spent my entire career as a journalist, uncovering the truth, until the day my wife presented me with the biggest story of my life," explained the skeptical Strobel, who riffled through contradictory details of the Resurrection, looking for evidence, and who ultimately was brought to faith in the process.
I'll look for that book. Thanks

Faith, has been and is an important aspect in the lives of many. I often ponder the concept that maybe as our world gets more modern and people consequently get farther removed from living lives that are influenced by nature such as farming and ranching, if people are becoming less dependent on faith. People's faith have helped them through many hard days and times.
The reality that things of this life are not always right or good but the hope that the promise of Heaven gives makes for a certain peace in times of despair.
I can say that if you put your trust in man you will be disappointed, but a promise made by God will be kept. A lot of people that are nonbelievers have come to that point by actually being in church and being hurt there in some way. It's important to realize that the events that can lead to that are because of people and not from God.
Anyone can find fault eventually with any person and since churches are made up of people there are bound to be problems within them.

To build on my previous post, my intention was not to justify turning away from the faith if someone has been hurt by an individual or a collective group within a church. That can and does happen. If that has happened then the best course of action is to keep looking, visit other churches and give them a chance before turning away. We have had a very hurtful experience while attending the church that I went to and had been a member of since I was young. We left the church but immediately plugged into another one. It was difficult but I came to find it as a good experience, have made some real good friends in a short time, and have reconnected with some folks that I went through school with including the Pastor. Years ago as a teen and early in my 20's I was a believer but was still searching for what it was all about. I visited several churches and never seemed to find what I didn't know I was looking for. Everyone has a personal testimony of how they came to Christ and the experiences in their Christian walk are all different. For me I believed I just didn't know what I was supposed to do or feel after that. For me I didn't find it going to Sunday School and Church from 10-12 on Sunday, even though many do. The moments that defined it for me came when I started going with a group from the church to hold services in another county at a mission church. Being able to talk with a Pastor and other folks that taught Sunday School, in a setting that was more open and more person to person and with the goal of serving for others it finally clicked for me. Years later when that door closed I had grown enough to seek another door and thus a new chapter begins.

One of problems in society is that somebody sold the farm....meaning Dad or Grandad, or Great Grandad sold the farm somewhere down the line and moved to town....like the old bluegrass song...The Old Homeplace.... that says "Why did I leave the plow in the field and look for a job in the town"
I'm sure a lot of people a generation or two back saw farming was just too hard and give it up and so todays generation are just scrunched up in a subdivision and working a public job. Nothing wrong with that but there are just much to be learned about life and death out on the farm.

It's interesting to note the Bible with 66 books was written over a period of 1500 years, by approximately 40 authors. And the information in all the books does not contradict itself.

Since the folks on this forum can not agree on much of anything, inspired writings over a span of 1500 years and 40 authors has to be a God thing!

Ultimately, above the human authors, the Bible was written by God. Second Timothy 3:16 tells us that the Bible was "breathed out" by God. God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that, while using their own writing styles and personalities, they still recorded exactly what God intended. The Bible was not dictated by God, but it was perfectly guided and entirely inspired by Him.

Humanly speaking, the Bible was written by approximately 40 men of diverse backgrounds over the course of 1500 years. Isaiah was a prophet, Ezra was a priest, Matthew was a tax-collector, John was a fisherman, Paul was a tentmaker, Moses was a shepherd, Luke was a physician. Despite being penned by different authors over 15 centuries, the Bible does not contradict itself and does not contain any errors. The authors all present different perspectives, but they all proclaim the same one true God, and the same one way of salvation—Jesus Christ (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). Few of the books of the Bible specifically name their author.

It's interesting to note the Bible with 66 books was written over a period of 1500 years, by approximately 40 authors. And the information in all the books does not contradict itself.

Since the folks on this forum can not agree on much of anything, inspired writings over a span of 1500 years and 40 authors has to be a God thing!

Ultimately, above the human authors, the Bible was written by God. Second Timothy 3:16 tells us that the Bible was "breathed out" by God. God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that, while using their own writing styles and personalities, they still recorded exactly what God intended. The Bible was not dictated by God, but it was perfectly guided and entirely inspired by Him.

Humanly speaking, the Bible was written by approximately 40 men of diverse backgrounds over the course of 1500 years. Isaiah was a prophet, Ezra was a priest, Matthew was a tax-collector, John was a fisherman, Paul was a tentmaker, Moses was a shepherd, Luke was a physician. Despite being penned by different authors over 15 centuries, the Bible does not contradict itself and does not contain any errors. The authors all present different perspectives, but they all proclaim the same one true God, and the same one way of salvation—Jesus Christ (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). Few of the books of the Bible specifically name their author.
Now let's be honest....the Bible is full of contradictions.

Go ahead an list a few! ;)

What many miss when studying is taking things out of context. To get an understanding of the message it's not a read the chapter and know it all thing. A real study requires the reader to answer the questions we had in English class: who, what, when, where, why and how.

To know who wrote the book, to whom, what was going on at the time, why was this addressed, etc gives the reader a much deeper understanding. And some word studies help us understand the intent at the time.

Better be careful if you get too deep into it or you'll end up like Lee Strobel. I can relate to him because I question just about everything and want to understand it. At one point I think everyone thinks the concept of a God who created us is hooie. Then we experience some situations in life that we can't define the purpose or reason and begin looking. Have fun!

Go ahead an list a few! ;)

What many miss when studying is taking things out of context. To get an understanding of the message it's not a read the chapter and know it all thing. A real study requires the reader to answer the questions we had in English class: who, what, when, where, why and how.

To know who wrote the book, to whom, what was going on at the time, why was this addressed, etc gives the reader a much deeper understanding. And some word studies help us understand the intent at the time.

Better be careful if you get too deep into it or you'll end up like Lee Strobel. I can relate to him because I question just about everything and want to understand it. At one point I think everyone thinks the concept of a God who created us is hooie. Then we experience some situations in life that we can't define the purpose or reason and begin looking. Have fun!
I could take the time to list a few or many more. The time would be wasted as religion especially christianity will twist and turn and change rules to make things fit.
At least other religions tend to hold fast to he// with political pressure.
In our lifetime cat, probably sooner than later we will see Christianity accept homosexuality. They will find a way to make it fit. Religion evolves right along with us, only way it can survive.
Eye for an eye, turn the other cheek...

callmefence> I would remind you that if/when scripture is quoted it is customary to provide book, chapter and verse.
I would not expect a long list of examples of contradictions but I gather from your response to D2Cat that you are familiar
enough with the Word to provide the location of an eye for an eye ? With all due respect for the hours of time and the
over 7,400 messages you have posted on Cattle Today surely a few minutes could be justified by providing scripture location
for your reasoning. respectfully, LVR

I personally believe it is more far fetched and would take more faith to believe there is not a God than to believe there is a God. I've been in church essentially my whole life although there were my late teen years that I went astray but I always felt conviction for the lifestyle I was living. It was true conviction and not condemnation, then there have been things that I was taught growing up that I have later come to realize were more of a religious thing than a God thing which led to condemnation. And some things I still struggle to understand whether they're wrong or not. I believe there are some things that can become a sin for some and not be a sin for others, it all depends on where your heart is on the issue. I just can't imagine living my life without my faith in God and Jesus Christ, I look at many trials and hardships I've endured and was able to easily overcome through my faith, and to be honest the only family members that I worry about passing on are the ones I know aren't saved because the others I'll see again some day. Don't get me wrong, I miss them but I don't mourn over their loss like someone who has no hope for the after life. I think too many put Christians on a pedistal and when they see us stumble they use it as a reason not to go to church or accept Christ themselves, well we're not perfect, that's why we needed a saviour that was and through him I'm made perfect. I don't believe my salvation gives me an excuse to sin, I'm to strive daily to be better and ask forgiveness for where I fail which is daily. Any of you that haven't accepted Christ, no matter the reason, I truly pray that you reconsider. Salvation is just you admitting that you are born sinful and that you need Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins, it don't mean you'll wake up and your life and you will be perfect tomorrow, we won't be perfect until after this life.

Tennessee T And where from whence are you quoting? Is this before or after "Judas went out and hung himself, Go ye and do likewise"?
omg............................

callmefence> I would remind you that if/when scripture is quoted it is customary to provide book, chapter and verse.
I would not expect a long list of examples of contradictions but I gather from your response to D2Cat that you are familiar
enough with the Word to provide the location of an eye for an eye ? With all due respect for the hours of time and the
over 7,400 messages you have posted on Cattle Today surely a few minutes could be justified by providing scripture location
for your reasoning. respectfully, LVR
I would have had to Google it Lee.
Very few of my 7400 messages have been the result of a google search.
Probably shows..lol

I'm going to throw out one subject I struggled with. Why the fire & brimstone and genocide in the old testament and peace & love in the new testament? It's almost like we're talking about 2 different gods but the time difference is only about 400 years.

Any ideas?

I could take the time to list a few or many more. The time would be wasted as religion especially christianity will twist and turn and change rules to make things fit.
At least other religions tend to hold fast to he// with political pressure.
In our lifetime cat, probably sooner than later we will see Christianity accept homosexuality. They will find a way to make it fit. Religion evolves right along with us, only way it can survive.
True "Christianity" can only "accept" things that are in full agreement with the inspired Word of God. False teaching "christian churches" can "accept" anything... happens all the time. That's why God warns His Church (all the PEOPLE that make up the Holy Christian Church) to be ever watchful for false doctrine creeping in.... it will come as a "wolf in sheep clothing".
[h3][/h3]Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies.

Romans 16:17-18 Mark those who cause division and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but heir own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Tennessee T And where from whence are you quoting? Is this before or after "Judas went out and hung himself, Go ye and do likewise"?
omg............................
Which post LVR? "Hate the sin Love the sinner" is something I was taught along the way. I'm not claiming it's written in the bible in that fashion.

If you're taking about "Do unto others before they do unto you" that is a saying I've heard numerous times over the years and I'm not claiming it has a biblical connotation.

And why are you using such a pedestrian piece of slang such as "omg"? You're better than that.

Latest posts