sick steer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm new to farming and large animals. I have a 700lb heffer that has gone off her feed. Stands with her rear feet close together up under her body. Her head is hanging down and getting lower each day, but her ears are not drooping. She was acting like she was cold on saturday and had shivers all over her. the shivers have subsided but she still has a slight twitch/reflex up in her neck. she has not chewed a cut that I have seen in days. Any thoughts or suggestions before I butcher to end her struggle, I dont think she will make it another day.

[email protected]

i agree with tom... call your vet.. personally i dont think i would eat a sick steer?? heifer?? which ever it is... especially if it died from its sickness...

gene

> I'm new to farming and large
> animals. I have a 700lb heffer
> that has gone off her feed. Stands
> with her rear feet close together
> up under her body. Her head is
> hanging down and getting lower
> each day, but her ears are not
> drooping. She was acting like she
> was cold on saturday and had
> shivers all over her. the shivers
> have subsided but she still has a
> slight twitch/reflex up in her
> neck. she has not chewed a cut
> that I have seen in days. Any
> thoughts or suggestions before I
> butcher to end her struggle, I
> dont think she will make it
> another day.

[email protected]

at least someone is having fun today then.

no, seriously, an animal that died from an illness you do not know or cannot identify should be checked by a person qualified to do so (vet) before it is eaten. many animals that are weakened have TB, which is one illness i don't care for. it's pretty much obvious you know, but then again, some people rather die of anything then spend a dollar on their health. those people are commonly referred to as absolute idiots.

[email protected]

Latest posts