sick steer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought a large holstein steer at an auction the other day.I thought the reason they sold him so cheap was because he was so thin,but the next day when we came to pick him up the auctioner said he had pheumonia.He coughs a lot and foam and saliva come out of his mouth.He drinks lots of water and eats a little feed and hay.We gave him 10 cc of LA 200.is there anything else we can do or give him? What are his chances? thanks in advance!

> I bought a large holstein steer at
> an auction the other day.I thought
> the reason they sold him so cheap
> was because he was so thin,but the
> next day when we came to pick him
> up the auctioner said he had
> pheumonia.He coughs a lot and foam
> and saliva come out of his
> mouth.He drinks lots of water and
> eats a little feed and hay.We gave
> him 10 cc of LA 200.is there
> anything else we can do or give
> him? What are his chances? thanks
> in advance! I wish you lots of luck with the calf. Call the vet and get meds. A shot of nuflor you can give it 1 shot that will cover him for 3 days. Ask the vet for the dosage. Get a bottle of Banamine 2cc. per 100 lbs. Give this shot daily up to 4 days, to bring temp down and to increase his appetite. I wish you all the best.

[email protected]

We gave him 10 cc of LA 200.is there
> in advance!

10 cc of LA are sufficient if he's only 200 lbs, but I prefer Nuflor at 6cc/100lbs once SQ (under the skin). He may need banamine, but daily will ulcerate his abomasum and stop him eating after a day or two. He may need a probiotic, or a rumen transfaunation, but I'd seriously recommend a vet exam! If he's frothing now, he DEFINITELY needs specialized treatment! Good Luck! V

[email protected]

> I bought a large holstein steer at
> an auction the other day.I thought
> the reason they sold him so cheap
> was because he was so thin,but the
> next day when we came to pick him
> up the auctioner said he had
> pheumonia.He coughs a lot and foam
> and saliva come out of his
> mouth.He drinks lots of water and
> eats a little feed and hay.We gave
> him 10 cc of LA 200.is there
> in advance! LA200 is a waste of time and money for a calf that is already sick it works good for a prevention.When you buy a calf through a sale barn you have no idea what vaccinations that calf has already had.All these cattle jockies use the heck out of nuflor,mikatel,and banamine.If this calf isn't already dehydrated past the point of saving nuflor is probably best bet. If it comes handy email me and let me know how it turned out.

[email protected]

Latest posts