Sick Of Pickin Peas!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Anyone need some Top Pick Cream peas? Done picked and shelled about 14 bushels.

Come by and pick. Have Sheller. :roll:

MikeC":3olnzymc said:

Wow Mike...from what I hear about the price of peas you're sitting on a gold mine. Wish I lived closer... I'd take a few bushels off your hands. :nod:

TexasBred":2i3dl1ot said:
MikeC":2i3dl1ot said:

Wow Mike...from what I hear about the price of peas you're sitting on a gold mine. Wish I lived closer... I'd take a few bushels off your hands. :nod:

Went to a market this morning to deliver some stuff and a guy was selling 8 lb. bags of shelled peas for $30 each. He sold out the first hour........................ :shock: :shock:

Make you want to go home and pick some peas don't it.

So refresh my memory, a bushel of weighs 32lbs? and might shell out maybe a little more the 50%? so he is getting $60 a bushel shelled?

1982vett":wzm1crmg said:
Make you want to go home and pick some peas don't it.

So refresh my memory, a bushel of weighs 32lbs? and might shell out maybe a little more the 50%? so he is getting $60 a bushel shelled?

28 lbs to a bushel of peas "In the shell".

I get anywhere from 8 to 13 lbs. of shelled peas from a bushel, depending on variety.

Crowder type peas (Zippers and Brown Crowder's) turn out slightly more than Pink Eye Purple Hulls, with Cream peas a little less than the latter.

Now I'm sick of picking Okra. Got 3 five gallons buckets yesterday evening. :nod:

What kind of sheller Mike? I need me one of those it looks like.

I am getting about half a bushel of purple hulls a day. I discovered, since I had not planted peas in a long time, that shelling them greatly annoys the arthritis, or however you spell it. I have extremely still wrist and fingers on the right hand when I am done. Boy is helping. I am freezing mine for the long winter. I love purple hulls. That's about the only thing I am getting at the moment. My maters are not doing well and the second garden is not yet producing. I have some taters I need to dig here in a few weeks.

ollie?":2a0nduhp said:

I have an old "Wellborn Devices" drum-type sheller. I'll get some pics today or tomorrow.

Sure hope it works good on the "Butterpeas" that are almost ready. It looks like I'll have a ton of those. :lol2:

You ought to see my okra!!! I've got one row that produces about 2-3 five gallon buckets every other day, and it just started producing........ Need some? :lol2:

Lammie":15qiixow said:
I am getting about half a bushel of purple hulls a day. I discovered, since I had not planted peas in a long time, that shelling them greatly annoys the arthritis, or however you spell it. I have extremely still wrist and fingers on the right hand when I am done. Boy is helping. I am freezing mine for the long winter. I love purple hulls. That's about the only thing I am getting at the moment. My maters are not doing well and the second garden is not yet producing. I have some taters I need to dig here in a few weeks.

You can get those small, "hand crank" type shellers for about $35-$40 bucks I think.

Last two years we have been freezing fresh peas in brown paper sacks instead of plastic freezer bags. They seem to tatse fresher when cooked.

No blanching at all. You might want to try it?

MikeC":2svqkw0g said:
Last two years we have been freezing fresh peas in brown paper sacks instead of plastic freezer bags. They seem to tatse fresher when cooked.

Grandparents used a flour sack or pillow case.

MikeC":3qnsleee said:
Lammie":3qnsleee said:

You can get those small, "hand crank" type shellers for about $35-$40 bucks I think.

As a matter of fact, Texas Bred suggested something similar to me in a PM about green beans and keeping them, unwashed and not blanched, in an old pillow case or something like it. He said they were better, too. I think I might have to try it. I have not been blanching the peas. I have been just putting them in a bag and extracting the air and freezing. They don't stick together. My mom did it that way. I started moving them to the freezer in the garage today because I am out of room in the kitchen. Winter's gonna have at least one good thing going for it.

I will look into the sheller. That would be nice. You have to admit, though, that shelling peas is a good way to spend a lazy summer afternoon.

MikeC":2ihjz7qh said:
ollie?":2ihjz7qh said:

I have an old "Wellborn Devices" drum-type sheller. I'll get some pics today or tomorrow.

Sure hope it works good on the "Butterpeas" that are almost ready. It looks like I'll have a ton of those. :lol2:

You ought to see my okra!!! I've got one row that produces about 2-3 five gallon buckets every other day, and it just started producing........ Need some? :lol2:
Thanks for the info. I'll check to see if I can find one. I guess on the okra I already have plenty. We're getting about what you're getting but we have 6 rows. Ours is just starting too. I might trade you some sweet corn. We currently have about 10,000-15,000 too many ears. :lol:

My sweet corn just flopped this year. I am such an inconsistent gardener. What is the secret of good sweet corn production?

Lammie,  How did it fail?  Was it a variety you have had success with before? I think their are a lot of things that could be the problem.

Lammie":wo9wvc2b said:
MikeC":wo9wvc2b said:
Lammie":wo9wvc2b said:

As a matter of fact, Texas Bred suggested something similar to me in a PM about green beans and keeping them, unwashed and not blanched, in an old pillow case or something like it. He said they were better, too. I think I might have to try it. I have not been blanching the peas. I have been just putting them in
a bag and extracting the air and freezing. They don't stick together. My mom did it that way. I started moving them to the freezer in the garage today because I am out of room in the kitchen. Winter's gonna have at least one good thing going for it.

I will look into the sheller. That would be nice. You have to admit, though, that shelling peas is a good way to spend a lazy summer afternoon.

Lammie try this website, they are in Dallas. I bought the $200 sheller.The smaller sheller can be powered by a hand mixer. http://www.leemfgco.com/Default.asp

Lammie":39e6gr6z said:
My sweet corn just flopped this year. I am such an inconsistent gardener. What is the secret of good sweet corn production?

Getting it planted early and a lot of fertilizer. You might want to do a soil test, cost about $10 with A & M.

As with any corn, it must have rain at the right time. If you don't get rain you will not make sweet corn unless you can put at least 1 inch of water a week on it.