Sick Mother

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Today I went out to the farm and notice a mother heifer was acting a little weird. She seemed really exhausted and had her tongue hanging out. I also notice her calf was not around. I went out to the other side of the barn and found the calf with some other heifers. The calf started feeding on another heifer, but that heifer did not notice the calf feeding on her because she was drinking water. My assumption is the calf is not getting milk from his mother and that is why he is trying to get milk from another cow. I later notice that there was another calf who had similar symptons. He wasn't doing anything, but just seemed to be breathing heavily and exhauted. What do you think is wrong?

[email protected]

Dependgin on where you are, high heat and or humidity can put cows off feed and frequently they will drool a lot and be lethargic. Heifers frequently have more of a problem then cows will. Some will do better after calving a second time, some just go down hill or don't do any better.

dun

> Today I went out to the farm and
> notice a mother heifer was acting
> a little weird. She seemed really
> exhausted and had her tongue
> hanging out. I also notice her
> calf was not around. I went out to
> the other side of the barn and
> found the calf with some other
> heifers. The calf started feeding
> on another heifer, but that heifer
> did not notice the calf feeding on
> her because she was drinking
> water. My assumption is the calf
> is not getting milk from his
> mother and that is why he is
> trying to get milk from another
> cow. I later notice that there was
> another calf who had similar
> symptons. He wasn't doing
> anything, but just seemed to be
> breathing heavily and exhauted.
> What do you think is wrong?

Dun is right it is likely just the heat, but to be on the safe side I would check them at dawn if you cool off over night. If things cool off at might and these animals don't look better in the morning, I would have the vet out.

[email protected]

Latest posts