sick lamb question

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
So out of my group of bottle raised drop offs this year, I've got two which are kindof perplexing me.

One is 10 mths old and the other is 6 weeks, and both show the same symptoms.

They cry and moan whenever they poo, like they are in pain, yet there is no scour, no blood, no constipation, sometimes slight mucus discharge. They continue to eat/drink their bottle with no problems, they play like normal happy little lambs.

At this stage I havent treated them with anything, except have given them probiotics and a worming.

Any ideas?

Sorry Keren I can not think of a reason. They are "pooping, peeing, eating, chewing ) normally but seem to experience pain and make noises when they have a bm :? ..

So back to the usual ,,,,,,,,,,,what does your vet say??

Sorry again ,maybe someone will have experience with this as it does sound ODD..

Good luck, and I hope it is just one of those oddities that really mean nothing and your little ones do well in spite of it..

Thinking back to when we use to have lambs I'm thinking not full blown constipation. It's just hard for them to go. My MIL used to put corn syrup in the milk when feeding when that happened. They might not be getting enough fluids between feedings.
just some random thoughts
-are they the "runts" not getting enough, getting pushed out of the way? Yes i know one is 10 months, but it can still be the runt of that age group.
-would a shot of mineral oil in the milk help them out? Lossen them up so to speak?
-shot of electrolytes to rebalance the system. acidiosus (sp)?
-When you bottle feed your lambs, do you feed each one separate or do you let them at a fence line bottle feed?

good luck, let us know what happens and what the vet says.

rockridgecattle":260b4lp3 said:
Thinking back to when we use to have lambs I'm thinking not full blown constipation. It's just hard for them to go. My MIL used to put corn syrup in the milk when feeding when that happened. They might not be getting enough fluids between feedings.

The 10 mth old is weaned therefore drinking water eating pellets, hay, pasture. The little one does drink water from the trough between feeds.

just some random thoughts
-are they the "runts" not getting enough, getting pushed out of the way? Yes i know one is 10 months, but it can still be the runt of that age group.

The older lamb is the boss of all the weaners, the little one is the only one still on the bottle and is running in the backyard with a little kid for company, he doesnt push her around.

-would a shot of mineral oil in the milk help them out? Lossen them up so to speak?
-shot of electrolytes to rebalance the system. acidiosus (sp)?

Have given electrolytes already, no response. I guess the oil wont hurt - at this stage it is one more thing I can try because I've run out of ideas

-When you bottle feed your lambs, do you feed each one separate or do you let them at a fence line bottle feed?

I feed them individual bottles, I dont particularly like using the lamb bars and only use them when I've got bigger numbers to feed (10 and above). As I said above, the little one is the only one on the bottle now, the bigger lamb is weaned. I wean as soon as they are 10kg and eating feed, generally around 6 - 8 wks.

good luck, let us know what happens and what the vet says.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Hills, to be honest I havent called the vet on this one, I have been practising benign negligence since they are normal otherwise. They are putting on weight regardless, just weighed the little one, put on 1.1kg in the last week. The older lamb is too heavy to pick up and stand on the scales with :D