Sick holstein steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Not sure on age as I bought him about 3months ago, he will weigh around 500lbs. For awhile he was doing good, but lately I've noticed his back side is covered with manure (scours) so I moved him up closer to the barn and went to the co-op. Lady there said he needed electrolytes and take him off grain and put him on hay. She said I could also mix some watermelon jello with his water to help get his electrolytes back up. I also noticed he keeps his head low alot but has continued eating and drinking. He also keeps one eye about half shut and the other eye he won't move. I've never seen anything like it, the "good eye" has good color but he won't move it, if you see him from the front he looks funny because he keeps the one eye about half shut and the other is fixed in place. I'm not sure what to do with him. I did give him a shot of LA200 last weekend thinking the one eye had pink eye but haven't seen any improvement in him opening it.

Calhoun Farm":pu7ze0b7 said:
Not sure on age as I bought him about 3months ago, he will weigh around 500lbs. For awhile he was doing good, but lately I've noticed his back side is covered with manure (scours) so I moved him up closer to the barn and went to the co-op. Lady there said he needed electrolytes and take him off grain and put him on hay. She said I could also mix some watermelon jello with his water to help get his electrolytes back up. I also noticed he keeps his head low alot but has continued eating and drinking. He also keeps one eye about half shut and the other eye he won't move. I've never seen anything like it, the "good eye" has good color but he won't move it, if you see him from the front he looks funny because he keeps the one eye about half shut and the other is fixed in place. I'm not sure what to do with him. I did give him a shot of LA200 last weekend thinking the one eye had pink eye but haven't seen any improvement in him opening it.

I'd recommend getting the vet out there and discuss your herd health, worming, and feeding regimen. That steer would probably benefit from probiotics, and I wouldn't have taken away his grain completely. Has he been on pasture with the grain, or were you just feeding grain and no forage?

Probies yes. You can pick some up just about anywhere that sells farm supplies.
The eyes sound like Conjunctivitis, but that's almost always a symptom of something else.
Vet definitely.
The scours could be anything--cocci--an irritant plant it ate, change of diet or illnesses more severe.
Stool sample will tell the vet more than anything, but might take some time if they have to grow a culture.

There is some stuff you can get called Corrid--put it in the drinking water, or use as a drench but you have to restrict them to only having that as sole water source if you go that route--IF it's coccidiosis. I'm not a big fan of the stuff, but some people around here swear by it.

He has been on pasture only until the last week or two. Out of 8 holsteins he's the only one acting this way.

Checked my records and he hasn't been wormed, at least since I've owned him. I did give him 7way black leg/tetanus dose in June.