sick heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

dawnrogerl

Reaction score
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL:

I have a problem with a sick heifer this morning. We vaccinated her Sat. Dec.20th She has been off feed for the last couple of days. She is 12 months old. Eating some hay and drinking water but will not touch her grain. She will eat a few alfalfa cubes out of my hand. Could not get her in a pen this morning to take a temp., and have to take family out of town for the day. Will check with you all when we get back. Thanks

Need a temp right away . My family knows that if that stock is not cared for, we soon won't have a place to live or food to eat, sometimes they just have to go on without me . That being said if you have to leave go ahead and give her a broad spectrum antibiotic . If she didn't eat 3 days ago you probably don't have that long to treat her .

Larry

Up until she quit eating her grain had she been on a high grain diet?

What was she vaccinated with?

When you get her up to take a temp, check inside her mouth as well for lesions. I saw an intriguing case of vaccine-induced BVD/IBR in a heifer this summer when I used a modified-live vaccine. She went off feed for a few days and eventually came around and healed up fine. Didn't happen again when I gave her the booster a month later.

milkmaid":20d4zrcp said:
What was she vaccinated with?

When you get her up to take a temp, check inside her mouth as well for lesions. I saw an intriguing case of vaccine-induced BVD/IBR in a heifer this summer when I used a modified-live vaccine. She went off feed for a few days and eventually came around and healed up fine. Didn't happen again when I gave her the booster a month later.
This is excellent information ~ I would not have thought of that too soon. All I use is ML, I will have to remember that.

Thanks for the replies all !!!!!
We got home tonight after dark so I took a light out in the pasture and checked the cattle. The heifer, looked like she did this morning. No worst and no better. Noise is wet. She is not down and is walking around fine. Just off feed. She did not touch her grain at all today. She weighs 600 lbs and is on 6 lbs of All Stock Sweet 12% and free hay. We vaccinated her with BovaShild 5-L5 and Cavalry 9. After reading your replies, I will get help and put her in, in the morning. Take temp and I think I should give her a shot. I have some Liquamycin LA-200 in the medicine kit. If her temp. is ok, I am going to go with the family. If not, I will stay home and send them on their way.

As for family, I have a 18 year old stepson and a 16 year old adopted foster child that we take to Ocala, Fl. several times a year. The 18 year old, to see his father and the 16 year old to see is sister. His sister is all he has from the past. The two of them were given up by their mother when he was 2 and his sister was 4. Though I love my cattle, I love the boys more and try to do what is right for them. Again thanks for your help.

Yes, I understand people come first, and I realize that there are family events that can't be missed, we all have them . We can however have a plan of action when the cattle need care during these times . 1. We can be better prepared before leaving . In the case of your heifer, she was not doing well 2 or 3 days ago, it would have been a better time then to adress the problem rather than Christmas day . 2. Have someone that can fill in when you have to be away ( family member or neighbor ) . 3. Have a supply of good medicine on hand, cattle always seem to get sick on the weekends and holidays . Vets like to spend holidays with their families too and would rather not be bothered on Christmas if it can be helped . I'm not being critcal, I'm just talking about how maybe we can do things better .

If she has a temp, then something like Draxxin, Nuflor, Baytril, A180, something like that, give Banamine with it .LA 200 is not effective in cattle with BRD, if that is the problem . Maybe a neighbor that has cattle will have some of these better antibiotics . Let us know what you find out .

Larry

Your right Larry!!! I wish I would have taken action a couple of days ago. A neighbor that used to raise cattle is taking care of the cattle for us while we are gone. We will only be gone a couple of days and will be back on Sunday. About the heifer this morning. She looked much better stomach filled out, showed some interest in eating grain and alfalfa cubes. Temp 101.8. She was acting much better. I did give her a shot and turned her back out with the other cattle. I felt that it would be less strainous on her. I will let you know what is up when we return. A prayer this morning and off we go. Thanks for your reply.

Hey Larry,
Got home about 10pm tonight. Had a quick and safe trip. I took a light and went to the pasture to check on the heifer. She looks just as we left her. I checked her feeder where we put feed for her and she had been messing in it some. Maybe ate about half of what my neighbor gave her. While I was standing there looking she came in and ate a little. It seems to me that her mouth is tender. I did not see any lesions the other day when I checked her but I will check her again in the morning. I am going to try to pick up some Draxxin, Nuflor or Baytril A180 in the morning when I go to town. Do you think that will help with the lesions if she has any? I will be able to tell you more tomorrow. I do think she is on the mend now. Thanks

Hmmm, sounds like an odd one . You might re-check the temp , if that's ok I think it's time to call the vet . If the temp is high use one of the good antibiotics . For the lesions in her mouth I would swap that good with Listerine a couple times a day, along with a shot of Banamine .

Larry

Hello All,
The heifer seems like she is now doing fine. She is eating grain, hey, green grass and of course her alfalfa cube treats.
I am now almost scared to give her the booster shot in a couple of weeks.

If it was caused by the vaccine, I wouldn't worry about the booster shot. When I gave my calf the booster shot there was no repeat of the previous problems.

I agree with milkmaid, even with vaccines where severe reactions are common, I've never seen a reaction on the second round .

Larry

Latest posts