Sick Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
One of my young heifers is sick. Vet came and said its a severe case of pneumonia. Tuesday she looked healthy. Today she is foaming at the mouth and struggling to breath. She looks like she lost 100lbs or so. Hoping she makes it through night.

Hope she pulls through for you. It's crazy how fast they can go downhill sometimes. How old is she?

I will bet she will make it through the night but you need to get an antibiotic in her very soon like tomorrow morning. The go downhill very fast but can recover just as quickly with a good antibiotic. Did the vet not give her anything?

I would also give her some flunixin (banamine or a similar product) and maybe some vitamins. I have had some good response with this three shot combo. I am using Excede currently but not real crazy about applying it in the ear as required, but so far it does seem to work very well. I was using Zactran but it has been unavailable in a small bottle for quite a while.

even though it's expensive, I've found it's low dosage rate, wide spectrum and long acting make it worthwhile... Lower price is always good to hear though

with many drugs the 10cc max per injection site and an 80cc/dose/animal you run out of spots pretty quick, and they don't like you much after that

For what they cost, I have had very disappointing results from Draxxin, Zactran, and Zuprevo. Good old Nuflor and Flunixamine or Baytril and Flunix are my go to's. Having to get them back in for that second dose forces you to reevaluate their condition and recovery. A thermometer is priceless when your doctoring.
Like bird dog said vitamins AD&E, vit B and Multi-min90 are all in my in my meds bucket when treating really sick feeders.
I do use Exceede in conjunction with Advocin (A180) when I'm dealing with a really th problem. ( until we figured it out and started vaccinating, we had a lot of problems with Mycoplasma in feeder cattle)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard losing one, but it sounds like you did everything you could to try to help her. Hoping the rest of your calves stay healthy and have better days ahead.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard losing one, but it sounds like you did everything you could to try to help her. Hoping the rest of your calves stay healthy and have better days ahead.
Thanks A.J. that is the plan. Have the vet scheduled for a herd inspection middle of next week

Anyone still use Micotil (Tilmicosin)? I stopped using it years ago due to the safety concerns over death due to accidental injection in humans and with the availability of Nuflor and Draxxin. Looks like it is still available. Just never hear about it now.
[h3][/h3]

Sorry about your loss Jsully. Had your calves been vaccinated against such an eventuality?
Thanks Silver, no unfortunately not, they guy that is mentoring me told me thatvwas not necessary, he has never had an issue before this. So in light of things i have a vet coming out next week to go over my heard and vaccinate.

Anyone still use Micotil (Tilmicosin)? I stopped using it years ago due to the safety concerns over death due to accidental injection in humans and with the availability of Nuflor and Draxxin. Looks like it is still available. Just never hear about it now.
[h3][/h3]
It's been a long time since I've taken in a cow or bull for respiratory, but I think the last time my vet used it on one of mine was 2012.