Sick Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

blk mule

Reaction score
Does anyone care to express their thoughts on what would make 4 yr old cow no calf on side, become sore in all feet and clear saliva from her mouth, wants to eat but, has extreme trouble, slobbers all over the feed. Can`t get vet. this Sunday morning.

blk mule

Teeth problems? Chunk of "food" lodged in jaw/teeth area? Mild choking/obstruction problem? Something sharp lodged mouth causing excessive salivation, unable to eat?

Feet problems? Anyone's guess without examining them.

Would definitely get her to Vet as soon as you can find one that is willing and able to look at her.

Good luck!

Got hold of Vet and he says sounds like Blue Tougne caused by Deer and Flies along with all this dry weather we are having here in Ky. La- 200 + Vit. B12 should take care in few days.
Thank you for the suggestions.

blk mule

blk mule":3bipbb9s said:
Got hold of Vet and he says sounds like Blue Tougne caused by Deer and Flies along with all this dry weather we are having here in Ky. La- 200 + Vit. B12 should take care in few days.
Thank you for the suggestions.

blk mule
BLK MULE, we have had a lot of deer kills around here and they are due to some type of fly that kills the deer by suffication. Local farmers and vets says it is a virus called Blue Tongue.

THG

blk mule":2juwg3m3 said:
Does anyone care to express their thoughts on what would make 4 yr old cow no calf on side, become sore in all feet and clear saliva from her mouth, wants to eat but, has extreme trouble, slobbers all over the feed. Can`t get vet. this Sunday morning.

blk mule

We had some cases of blue tongue several years ago. They definitely had sore feet, but don't remember the slobbering. How far bred is the cow? If she gets it during a certain stage of pregnancy, the calf may be affected. Good luck and let us know.

We have been watering cows ever since it got really dry, I think that has what has saved us from this disease. Drinking from water at the bottom of all that mess has got to make anything sick. I know alot of people watering their cows from city water and it is well worth it.

The disease is suppose to be transmitted from the bugs in the mud around drinking areas. The first frost is suppose to kill them but as hot as it has been around here I don't know if that will come or not.

Well sorry to hear about your cow,I know how you must feel.I am in the same boat too.My best brahma cow 5yr old,no calf right now.My wife just gave me the bad news.Said something wrong with the cows feet.So I told her to call the vet.I have lost 2 other cows with very similar conditions last year.One had sore feet and would not eat,the other could not get up and foaming at the mouth.Now this.It's about time I find out what the heck is going on,can't stay in business like that if I loose any more.Will let you know what the vet says.Perhaps it may help in the future.Sure hope and pray it won't be "put her down".Yeah it really hurts.

Thanks to everyone that has responded We gave her 70 cc LA 200 yesterday still dark here this morning i will chk on her at daylight.One of the other vet`s called while i was away for a while and said he has treated a lot of Blue Tongue case`s this yr. And want to let everyone know this cow gets her drinking water from city water, I do have the auto. water system for all my cattle, they do not drink or have access to pond or crk. or branch (nothing) .
I have read on a web site that it is not contaious but, i also read it has kill thousands of sheep (i forgot somewhere).
Sure is something we all must become aware of.
Look for sore in all feet (hard to walk and drolling at mouth), wants to eat but, can`t. The ears stay pert and eyes are alert
seems to lay around alot .
This for sure are some of the symptons.
Thanks again for all replys.

blk mule

Latest posts