Sick Cow? Can't identify problem

Help Support CattleToday:

yellowdog5

Reaction score
I just received a call from a friend who's mature cow that isn't due to calve until January has the following symptoms: She is standing by herself, not fighting flies, he says the flies have really eaten her up, she has a fever, and acts like she may be blind. He says her condition is great, she's not thin or gaunted up, he would take her in the show ring tomorrow. This is a guy who knows his cattle. We are stumped. I told him to call my vet, the fever indicates illness, but does anyone have any ideas? We live in Western Oregon.

yellowdog5":2rrgzbt9 said:
I just received a call from a friend who's mature cow that isn't due to calve until January has the following symptoms: She is standing by herself, not fighting flies, he says the flies have really eaten her up, she has a fever, and acts like she may be blind. He says her condition is great, she's not thin or gaunted up, he would take her in the show ring tomorrow. This is a guy who knows his cattle. We are stumped. I told him to call my vet, the fever indicates illness, but does anyone have any ideas? We live in Western Oregon.

Probably got a sick cow. Duh!

Definitely she should NOT go to a public show ring! Has that guy lost it???

Eating?

How does she walk - when she does walk?

How does she stand?

Any recent changes in pasture, feed, weather?

Thank you, DavisBeefmasters for a civil reply. She has been on the same pasture for several weeks, I can't think of any real changes in her environment. Someone has suggested Thiamine deficiency. My friend just called while I was writing this, he had the vet out, and even the vet , who in my opinion is very good, didn't have a definite answer, but they treated her for everything they could think of and the prognosis is good.
For those of you who like to make smart remarks, "showing her tomorrow" was an example of how good she looks, he's not showing her. I'll think twice before posting a question on this forum again.

yellowdog5":3nk9vfw4 said:
Thank you, DavisBeefmasters for a civil reply. She has been on the same pasture for several weeks, I can't think of any real changes in her environment. Someone has suggested Thiamine deficiency. My friend just called while I was writing this, he had the vet out, and even the vet , who in my opinion is very good, didn't have a definite answer, but they treated her for everything they could think of and the prognosis is good.
For those of you who like to make smart remarks, "showing her tomorrow" was an example of how good she looks, he's not showing her. I'll think twice before posting a question on this forum again.

It is hard to tell what it is without a blood work up or fecal sample. I say your friend did the right thing by not waiting to have the vet come out.

My first guesses would have been,

Thiamine deficiency
Salt/selenium poisoning from bad water
Photosensitivity disease in the early stages.

Glad to hear he got the vet out and hope she comes around.

Good working decision to solicit multiple forms of input -- vet and internet.

Don't get discouraged with smart astronaut responses -- like everything in life (both internet and in person advice) take what works for ya and pitch the rest.

Please post us with an update so we (and others can continue to learn).

What shots did they give her?

He tubed her with electrolytes and magnesium, and gave her Banamine, Biomycin 200 and thiamine. Her temp was 103 and she is not blind. Someone also suggested anaplasmosis.

yellowdog5":3fimeibn said:
He tubed her with electrolytes and magnesium, and gave her Banamine, Biomycin 200 and thiamine. Her temp was 103 and she is not blind. Someone also suggested anaplasmosis.

103 Temp and the vet gives her LA 200. Id be getting me a new vet. :roll:

I think she should also had an IV coctail of dextrose, and b12..

Good luck I am agreement with Randi as the possibilities , also noxious weeds. What weeds are in that pasture..

I agree with something stronger to begin with than a long acting pen, like trivetrin for a few days and then hit her with LA when her fever starts to go down..

I wish your neighbor luck and I hope she pulls through.

I suggested Naxcel, but they went with the LA200 instead, don't know whether to blame the vet or my friend.

yellowdog5":abxsztep said:
I suggested Naxcel, but they went with the LA200 instead, don't know whether to blame the vet or my friend.

Id say both. Here recently I had a calf that had the same symptoms. I hit it with naxcel and gave it electrolytes for a couple days. At day 4 the calf was up jumping around and butting other calves. He has been fine since. Had I used LA200 he probably would be dead.

I used another forum also for questions about this cow, some of you may be interested: http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=12711.0. I have had poor results with LA200 for respiratory problems, so I don't use it much any more, but I have had good luck with it for some things, and it does seem to be an accepted treatment for certain ailments, including thiamine deficiency.

yellowdog5":1u1w0yr7 said:

Oxytetracycline is the treatment of choice for anaplasmosis along with Phosamine (Vit B complex) and Liver support. Your vet was spot on if he suspected anaplasmosis. If the animal is pale and the dung is hard send me a pm and I'll give more advice. I deal with anaplasmosis on a regular basis.

Latest posts