Sick Cat

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Not sure what is going on with one of our house cats. She's all stuffed up and having trouble breathing. One eye is running and a bit swollen. Any ideas what I could give her. We have the regular cattle meds around, Penn, Oxy LA, scour pills etc, and of course people meds, but nothing labelled for cats. No vet here til Monday whatever the case. I am thinking of steaming her (putting her in the bathroom and running the hot water). She's also pregnant, probably about a month along, and while I don't really want to hurt the kittens, they aren't as important as saving her.

We have used penicillin on our barn cats when they have respiratory-type illnesses and it has worked well. I don't want to suggest you do something off-label or something that might hurt her more than helping her because I am not a vet!! But that is just my experience with it. Hope she is alright.

We use Penn too, tried that yesterday. She's no better today. I did look it up on google. Sounds like she's got a virus, and it'll take 10-14 days to run its course. Just would like to make her a bit more comfortable. Hard to watch a live wire just lay around and suffer.....

I give my dogs Benadryl for their allergies...maybe that would help?

randiliana":o37ql2bt said:
I wonder if it is safe for cats too though?? I know that some things are good for cats and some things only for dogs.

I would be very cautious what to give a cat. I have heard aspirin will kill a cat even though humans, canines, equines, etc. can tolerate it just fine.

It sounds to me like an upper respiratory infection (URI). I would NOT give your cat Benadryl or anything of the like. I would highly recommend seeing your local veterinarian who can prescribe the proper antibiotics/medications and the correct dosage for your cat.
I would be very cautious in giving your cat any other medications that are labeled for use in humans or any other pets that are non-feline. People need to be very cautious of what they give their feline and canine friends alike as far as medications go. They can be very dangerous if not prescribed by your veterinarian in person or on the phone.
It also takes 3-4 days to start seeing results/pet feeling better with most medications, so 1 day being on an antibiotic you would not see any results.
Good luck with your cat, hope she is feeling better soon.

How is she doing today Randiliana , did you get her into the vet today ?

Thank goodness the Kit Kat has been really healthy except for the occasional runny eye from allergies, but I do not know enough about cats that I would treat him myself without getting him into a vet and getting proper medication. There are just too many things that can kill them ..

Well, she is doing a lot better now. I left DH with instructions to give her another shot of penicillin if she looked worse while I was gone, and to take her to the vet if she got really bad. But she's gotten better. Lost a bit of weight though and still has a runny eye. Didn't give her benadryl, but did steam her.

That is good news and I am sure your hubby is taking good care of her for you. You have so much on your plate right now and need to focus on yourself as hard as that must be..

I hope today was a good day for you so far. :)

tncattle467":14azrerv said:
My vet advised to never give a cat la200, pen, or any other kind of cattle meds as it would kill em. I reckon maybe he was wrong or maybe your cat just aint died yet.

Your vet is an idiot, and so are you.