sick calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

is cold weather that much a factor on young calves, we have another one sick and he has the scours last one was eating and didnt have scours and the next morning dead this one probably will be in the morning its -2 degrees here tonight we need some help they were doin fine til the cold set in. they also have the shakes and the milk replacer is high fat we have heat lamps on and plenty of hay. hes drinking electrolytes as well

Are you feeding electrolytes at the same time as the milk replacer? Best to feed the electrolytes a couple of hours before or after the milk feeding.

Cold can stress a calf, but we calve in the snow, are at high altitude, and have below zero winters. However, our climate has low humidity, and I think that helps.

More important than climate, I think, are the strength of the calf's immune system and cleanliness or absence of disease organisms in the calf's housing area. The calves should receive good quality colostrum in a timely manner after calving. By good quality, I mean either from their own mothers (and hopefully those mothers have been on a regular vaccination routine) or colostrum from your herd. Feeding diary colostrum (for example) to a beef calf is better than no colostrum at all, but it won't contain all the antibodies colostrum from a mature cow in your own herd will contain.

> is cold weather that much a factor
> on young calves, we have another
> one sick and he has the scours
> last one was eating and didnt have
> scours and the next morning dead
> this one probably will be in the
> morning its -2 degrees here
> tonight we need some help they
> were doin fine til the cold set
> in. they also have the shakes and
> the milk replacer is high fat we
> have heat lamps on and plenty of
> hay. hes drinking electrolytes as
> well

> Will never forget having calves in the utility/mud room when I was a kid. Apparently my folks thought that the cold was a factor in mortality and on the really cold nights they were in! Didn't lose a one, but don't know what other factors may have been at play.

is cold weather that much a factor
> on young calves, we have another
> one sick and he has the scours
> last one was eating and didnt have
> scours and the next morning dead
> this one probably will be in the
> morning its -2 degrees here
> tonight we need some help they
> were doin fine til the cold set
> in. they also have the shakes and
> the milk replacer is high fat we
> have heat lamps on and plenty of
> hay. hes drinking electrolytes as
> well

Baby calves that die suddenly with no symptoms are frequently killed by type C clostridium (one of the 7 blackleg bugs). Coccidia and virals can be deadly quickly in calves from salebarns and other highly infected sources.

[email protected]

Latest posts