sick calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been having problems with sick calves. The problem began approx 2 mos ago with wet and cold weather. I have lost 4 calves ranging from 2 months to 4 days old. Appears the calves have colds and scours. I have recently begun to have calves scouring from 7 to 10 days old. HELP

[email protected]

Cold and wet is a bad combination. I would guess your calves are fighting a pneumonia that you might be missing until it causes them to get scours. Fighting 2 things will kill them.

Start taking temps, a thermometer will become your best friend. Treat anything over 102, no matter how young. Micotil, Nuflor or another drug for pneumonia should work.

Provide the calves with a dry place to sleep, a low board over a barn door works. Or move the calf shelter to fresh ground frequently.

Get the cows onto a better mineral program, and possibly better nutrition. Before the rest calve if possible. Too much milk never killed a calf, but too little then too much sure has.

If your way into calving, give the new calves vit.A, selenium (if you are in an area possibly deficient), and although I rarely condone mass antibiotics, 2 cc of penicillin at birth.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

we have had the same problems, we have tried nuflor with no help, lately just been giving LA 200 seems to help so far, but we have a sick one now thats about 1 week old and this is his second dose of LA 200 only time will tell, he's eating ok and been giving electrlytes to . Well I'm no help but know what you are goin through good luck

> After the loss of several calves a few years ago with symptoms similar to your description, I made it my mission to chat with cattlemen/women who appeared to have successful breeding programs. I put all my information together and experimented a little then began to use the following: I pre-calve vaccinate the mothers with Scour-Guard, according to the label directions. I then give the newborn calves an oral dose of BarGuard-99 just as soon as they hit the ground or I find them. This measure has proved very successful for us, although there are always exceptions to the rule and this is by no means a full proof standard...although I am now a believer. These medications may be ordered from JEFFERS or any other vet supply. This whole process costs less than $8.00 per birth and I originally thought that my imagination was working overtime, but I fully believe that the calves are more vigerous and healther that those that did not receive this.

[email protected]

Temping the calves is excellent advice. I would also strongly advise sending off a stool sample, via your veterinarian, to a lab for testing. It will take about 3 days for the lab to grow the cultures and then determine what antibiotic, if any, the disease causing organism is susceptible to. Then you will most likely know what you are dealing with. There is also the possibility (among many other possibilities) of coccidiosis.

Have a veterinarian examine these calves. He or she can determine whether they are fighting pneumonia. You might also consider having a vet post a dead calf as a way to find out what killed it.

> I have been having problems with
> sick calves. The problem began
> approx 2 mos ago with wet and cold
> weather. I have lost 4 calves
> ranging from 2 months to 4 days
> old. Appears the calves have colds
> and scours. I have recently begun
> to have calves scouring from 7 to
> 10 days old. HELP

7-10 day olds with scours sounds like rota or corona viral infections....viral diarrhea. There could also be navel infections, pneumonia, etc. E.coli can certainly strike at that age as well. I'd recommend that your vet post one of the calves, and send samples off for diagnosis. Fresh fecal material can also be used to determine etiology--ask your vet! Good luck

> Early prevention is a key issue here. The bos scour guard for mom is helpful, and at first sign of a temp or runny nose or scours, immediatly administer shots, or scour pills or what ever your thing may be. Keeping calves out of the wet area is very helpful too if possible. Its a tough situation, but rigourous prevention can help some. The previous owners of our place lost 11 calves out of 80 the year before we bought the ranch. They showed us where they calved. Once scours is in the ground, it stays there for awhile. We moved our calving area across the road the first year, and didnt lose one calf to scours. So possibly the ground your calving on is part of the culprit. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!

I agree! I started using Poly Serum as soon as they are born. Saving one dead calf more than buys all the medicine for all the calves. Plus I agree they seem to grow and do a lot better clear thru weaning.

[email protected]

Latest posts