sick calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you take temps on them?

How old are they?

Did you give some form of probiotic, antibiotics kill rumen flora and can cause scours.

Have you cultured the feces to find out what caused the scours?

Are the eating/nursing well?

Have you given some form of electrolyte therapy to help with dehydration?

[email protected]

temp not high they are about a week 1/2 old gave them 3 shots the vet gave us, one was nuflor dont know the other 2,not eating well and did give them electrolytes. was doin better know down hill again

> How old are they?

> Did you give some form of
> probiotic, antibiotics kill rumen
> flora and can cause scours.

> Have you cultured the feces to
> find out what caused the scours?

> Are the eating/nursing well?

> Have you given some form of
> electrolyte therapy to help with
> dehydration?

[email protected]

> temp not high they are about a
> week 1/2 old gave them 3 shots the
> vet gave us, one was nuflor dont
> know the other 2,not eating well
> and did give them electrolytes.
> was doin better know down hill
> again the other 2 shots were banamine and specton

[email protected]

Talk to your vet,sounds like you have a bad bug, I would try Micotil. We delt with something similar in June, were these calves exposed in any way to a sale barn or an animal that had been through a sale barn, lots of bad bugs at those places, and stress will reduce the imune responce to fighting them. I would give another dose of Banamine to help with any potential pain, also give fluids via an esophageal feeder, if you have not used one have your vet show you the proper technique, and get some "One Day Responce" " Bounce Back" or any other vet reccomended suppliment that can hydrate & provide energy. I am not sure why, but we used Nuflor, and found no responce, then Mycotil was used on another group with the same bug an had great responce, our calf died, the other group became well with good appetite and normal feces. Must act quick or they die from lack of nutrition, and toxemia. Wish I knew what exactly it was, but we figured out it was a resistant strain of something that hits young calves HARD and if you are not on the ball they die.

[email protected]

> still got calves with scours gave
> a shot of nuflor about 5 days ago
> should i give another shot

dave, back in march this year i had a calf get sick, gave him nuflor (long lasting dose) and he got better for about 5 days, then down again.. he was layed out and i just knew he was going to die, when i gave him another shot of nuflor and he was up nursing the next morning..

[email protected]

> dave, back in march this year i
> had a calf get sick, gave him
> nuflor (long lasting dose) and he
> got better for about 5 days, then
> down again.. he was layed out and
> i just knew he was going to die,
> when i gave him another shot of
> nuflor and he was up nursing the
> next morning..

dave, i followed up with about 3 more nuflor shots hoping he wouldn't relapse again, and it worked.. this calf was almost 2 months old though and his immunity system was probably just starting to kick in.

hope you have good luck

gene

[email protected]

Nuflor is not a one shot treatment. At least 2 doses 48 to 72 hours apart are needed.

You may have treated the pneumonia I believe you had, but the calves are still scoured because of being run down. Now is the time to use re-hydration therapy if they need it. We just use warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda in 2 qts.(litres). This must be tubed into the calf.

If the calf hasn't eaten for a while, use corn syrup to supply energy as cattle can't digest table sugar.

Good luck and be patient. They may be saved yet.

Jason

[email protected]