sick calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have bought 8 calves this week about 4 or 5 days old. First one got sick wouldnt take a bottle,gave shot of LA 200 it died. second calf got sick same old thing,died too. Now we have to more that wont eat. Anyone know what it could be. Temp changed quite a bit here tonight in the 30s. The other one had scours too. Any help would be great

[email protected]

Switch to nuflor or micotil and temp all the calves, any over 102 treat now.

Your fighting a pneumonia not scours. They get scours after they are run down, and it finishes them off.

Jason

[email protected]

>We bought 5 auction calves last week. 2 of 5 are scoured. have beet treating with terramycin. was considering LA-200 till I read your post. Those are the only 2 meds readily available here. I looked in the Jeffers catalog and couldn't find the 2 you recomended. Would they be called something else. Do they treat the phenomia or the scours or both? I don't think they have phenomia, what is best for scours? The calves are active and hungry, but we've been thru this before and know how quickly things can change.

[email protected]

Active and hungry are key words. Scours can be treated with sulphur boluses if it's just a bacterial scour. Injectible medicines like Trivetrin also work well on bacterial scours.

When calves suddenly drop after only a few hours of scouring,or they lose appetite, I look at pneumonia.

Some promote jello or pepto bismal, these slow the manure but don't treat the cause.

Lot's of liquids for scours, but with pneumonia, drenches will actually cause the calf discomfort as it presses on the stressed lungs.

Jason

[email protected]

We have to get Micotil and Nuflor from the vet as they are prescription medications.

dunmovin farms

> Active and hungry are key words.
> Scours can be treated with sulphur
> boluses if it's just a bacterial
> scour. Injectible medicines like
> Trivetrin also work well on
> bacterial scours.

> When calves suddenly drop after
> only a few hours of scouring,or
> they lose appetite, I look at
> pneumonia.

> Some promote jello or pepto
> bismal, these slow the manure but
> don't treat the cause.

> Lot's of liquids for scours, but
> with pneumonia, drenches will
> actually cause the calf discomfort
> as it presses on the stressed
> lungs.

> Jason

you might do best to stop by your vet and discuss it with him/her... if you feel strongly that it is just the scours, then treat it aggressively, young calves that age can dehydrate fast.. i have had good luck with biosol (neomysn) for scours, but some like other medicenes better. it would be a good idea to take their temp as jason suggested earlier.

just my 2 cents, good luck

gene

[email protected]

One calf looks like he's out of the woods. The holstein heffer is still scoured. We noticed a [very] little blood in her stool this AM. Still is very active. Didn't drink her bottle very well last night. Drank it all this morning. My wife thinks she might be a little "slow" also, if you know what I mean. [we've all had calves like that]. Which might explain why she was at the auction. I still have her on terrymycin, but would be glad to change meds, if you thing it's an advantage. The terramycin pill 2X a day have always worked in the past, but the little bit of blood is worrysome. Thanks for the help.

[email protected]

calves are doing better, we went to the vet and got nuflor and some other stuff, but, still have scours a little bit.eating better, just wondering should we give them anymore med or let it run it's course.

[email protected]

Latest posts