Sick Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I train calf orping horses as a part time hobby. Does<br>anyone have any suggestions as to the best medications<br>for 200-225 lb calves. I realize this is really hard on<br>the calves but I would like to find a medicine that <br>would help them as they first start getting sick.<br>I've tried L.A. and Nuflo and haven't had any luck.<br>I always stop roping them at the first sign of weakness <br>but once they start downhill they seem to keep going<br>, they will start to get better after about three months<br>if they have made it that far.<p>Thanx, Shane Trotter
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2xk7f1fo said:
: I train calf orping horses as a part time hobby. Does<br>: anyone have any suggestions as to the best medications<br>: for 200-225 lb calves. I realize this is really hard on<br>: the calves but I would like to find a medicine that <br>: would help them as they first start getting sick.<br>: I've tried L.A. and Nuflo and haven't had any luck.<br>: I always stop roping them at the first sign of weakness <br>: but once they start downhill they seem to keep going<br>: , they will start to get better after about three months<br>: if they have made it that far.<p>: Thanx, Shane Trotter<br>Try using Banamine, and Baytril, Baytril is and excellent anitibiotic, and Banamine is simply tylenol for livestock, will reduce temps and get them back to the feed bunk.<p>
<br>

(User Above)":t77qoo94 said:
: Try using Banamine, and Baytril, Baytril is and excellent anitibiotic, and Banamine is simply tylenol for livestock, will reduce temps and get them back to the feed bunk.<p>Banamine will also exacerbate gastric ulcers--or even create them on it's own. (it can kill calves and even cows) If you can legally get some, I prefer to use dipyrone--can go IM, SQ or even IV. It is used only every other day, 4cc/100lbs max 20ml or so. Licenced in Canada for use in cattle, I don't know about the US. Baytril, actual drug name enrofloxacin, is a great antibiotic, but your information doesn't tell me nearly enough to decide if it bacterial or viral. What kind of temps do they run? What kind of nasal discharge? Any diarrhea? It's simple to pull out a bottle, but without a clue as to why you're doing it, it may not work!<br>Vicki<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3som9ov9 said:
: : Try using Banamine, and Baytril, Baytril is and excellent anitibiotic, and Banamine is simply tylenol for livestock, will reduce temps and get them back to the feed bunk.<p>: Banamine will also exacerbate gastric ulcers--or even create them on it's own. (it can kill calves and even cows) If you can legally get some, I prefer to use dipyrone--can go IM, SQ or even IV. It is used only every other day, 4cc/100lbs max 20ml or so. Licenced in Canada for use in cattle, I don't know about the US. Baytril, actual drug name enrofloxacin, is a great antibiotic, but your information doesn't tell me nearly enough to decide if it bacterial or viral. What kind of temps do they run? What kind of nasal discharge? Any diarrhea? It's simple to pull out a bottle, but without a clue as to why you're doing it, it may not work!<br>: Vicki<p>The calves always get the diarrhea, and most often they get a runny nose.<br>I haven't checked their temperatures, Slack!<br>I have had a friend or two that has really good luck with a drug called Micatil.<br>What is your opinion of this, I've heard it is too strong for small calves.<br>Thanks for the help, Shane
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2qm2y57p said:
: The calves always get the diarrhea, and most often they get a runny nose.<br>: I haven't checked their temperatures, Slack!<br>: I have had a friend or two that has really good luck with a drug called Micatil.<br>: What is your opinion of this, I've heard it is too strong for small calves.<br>: Thanks for the help, Shane<p>Micotil, or tilmicosin, is an antibiotic with decent efficacy all over but especially the lungs. It reaches higher concentration there. It is given at a rate of 1.5cc/100lbs in calves over 150 lbs and 3cc/100lbs under 150lbs. I don't find that it is too strong in this size but MUST GO SQ! If it goes into the muscle, major lump!! If you're running fevers, diarrhea and runny noses, you still could be dealing with a virus, or bacteria. Have you done any viral screens on these calves? Bloodwork? Knowing the answer to what is causing it will make it a lot easier to treat and prevent in the future as well.Try taking the temps on animals as they get sick and I'll try to help you with which way to turn!<br>Vicki
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts