Sick calves when to use what?

Help Support CattleToday:

BabyBlu

Reaction score
I have no idea when to use probios or sustain 3. I just know I have sick calves.

My MIL has just decided she is no longer going to take care of the calves with no explanations or advice or anything and I haven't done anything with them other than occasionally bring them milk when she is out of town. So since she is no longer bothering to care for them I am trying to figure out when to medicate with what since there are a couple sick calves.

One has (this is gross) maggots on her rear and I have sprayed her with fly spray and iodine spray I found laying around but I am wondering if I should give her excenel. I have given her electrolytes but not sure what pill to give her. :(

I also don't know when you are supposed to give calves excenel either. When they have pnuemonia or scours?

Sorry for all the questions but this just got dumped in my lap and I am trying to do the best I can.

I am assuming dairy calves ? Are u on a dairy or are u buying calves to raise up . Do you have a large animal vet that this operation uses ?

I also suggest you start reading everything you can about bottle babies on here , filter out the bad and u should be left with some excellent helpful information.

As HD suggested, get acquainted with a good LA vet as they are familiar with what is problematic in your area. In the meantime, the Excenel is an injectable antibiotic usually used for respiratory infections while the Sustain III is an oral antibiotic useful for scours and can also be given along with Excenel for severe respiratory infections. As for the maggots, would think spraying a permethrin based insecticide on the infected area would do the job. Probios is a probiotic that helps rejuvinate the digestive microbes in the digestive system. It could be used when there have been digestive upsets or when there is a possibility that digestive microbes have been adversely affected by ongoing antibiotic treatments.

Would suggest you Google each of these products and familiarize yourself with their uses, dosages,etc.

Get with a vet. If they get pneumonia give a 5cc shot of baytril. If they have scours give 5cc's of ampicillin every day for 3 days. And sometimes a primor dog pill every day for 3 days with the ampicillin will get them over kinds of scours that nothing else will. Let me know if I can help with anything else, I have raised sevarel thousand baby dairy calves in the last few years, so I have some expierence in this.

Somebody must have really pissed her off.
Go and beg for forgiveness and beg her to mentor you.

You do need to develop a relationship with a vet so you can get the good meds. So go ahead and call one out and have him tell you what to do and what to carry and when to use it.

BabyBlu":3joyvnt6 said:
I have no idea when to use probios or sustain 3. I just know I have sick calves.

My MIL has just decided she is no longer going to take care of the calves with no explanations or advice or anything and I haven't done anything with them other than occasionally bring them milk when she is out of town. So since she is no longer bothering to care for them I am trying to figure out when to medicate with what since there are a couple sick calves.

One has (this is gross) maggots on her rear and I have sprayed her with fly spray and iodine spray I found laying around but I am wondering if I should give her excenel. I have given her electrolytes but not sure what pill to give her. :(

I also don't know when you are supposed to give calves excenel either. When they have pnuemonia or scours?

Sorry for all the questions but this just got dumped in my lap and I am trying to do the best I can.

The maggots are from flies laying eggs because of the scouring , keep her bum cleaned with peroxide and get some bolus's into her along with electrolytes and use a broad spectrum antibiotic for her as well .. If you haven't already done this ,separate the sick for, all the healthy . I agree with Howdy , u need to find out what the H happened to your MIL and at the very least ask her to help u out even if it is through a phone or notebook.

Good luck

IMHO just call vet doctor them aka pay to learn. Option two call sale barn to pick them up and sell them. It's hard to learn from scratch without someone there to help you. At least for us as soon as we think we get her figured out a new head scratcher comes up, so we feel for you.

Thanks for all the info. I have done nothing or said nothing offensive to my MIL. She is just refusing to help because her husband and son are trying to get her and her husband retired and she doesn't want to. Nothing to do with me personally.

Howdyjabo":2u6pl4st said:
Somebody must have really be nice her off.
Go and beg for forgiveness and beg her to mentor you.

You do need to develop a relationship with a vet so you can get the good meds. So go ahead and call one out and have him tell you what to do and what to carry and when to use it.

Haven't said or done anything to her. She just doesn't want to retire and is being as awful as she can be about it so she refuses to be any help at all. Nothing I can do about it and nothing I did.

hillsdown":1qvdy2e4 said:
I am assuming dairy calves ? Are u on a dairy or are u buying calves to raise up . Do you have a large animal vet that this operation uses ?

I also suggest you start reading everything you can about bottle babies on here , filter out the bad and u should be left with some excellent helpful information.

They are dairy calves. We do but since I do not pay for the meds or fees I am not allowed to call him. It's a very frustrating experience.

BabyBlu":hq0hah2e said:
hillsdown":hq0hah2e said:

They are dairy calves. We do but since I do not pay for the meds or fees I am not allowed to call him. It's a very frustrating experience.

If those are the rules, how did it become your problem?

Who, is the owner of these calves?
If it is not you or your husband, and the person that owns them refuses to give them medical care, you have only 2 choices. Well 3 really.
1. Call the vet anyway--or another vet and pay him yourself--even tho they aren't your calves.
2. Call the sheriff or animal control explain "someone" is not properly taking care of their animals and let the authorities handle it. (yes, this will most likely cause some internal family angst)
3. Play Pontius Pilate, wash your hands of it, and let nature take it's course.

BabyBlu":2uftrach said:
hillsdown":2uftrach said:

Call the vet clinic that has been in charge of care for your operation and explain the situation and if he/she knows your operation and is worth a grain of salt they will give you some of their time . BUT you need to start learning on your own by reading and researching as well.

Your MIL sounds like a piece work though.. If she cared at all about the calves in her care she would never let them go a day without her successor knowing how to care for the animals she has obviously taken so much time and energy to be responsible for all of these years.

Best of luck and do not envy your position at all .

tater74":14ppj61p said:
BabyBlu":14ppj61p said:
hillsdown":14ppj61p said:

If those are the rules, how did it become your problem?

Heck if I know. I'm not gonna let the calves go hungry and die off sick because she's being nasty.

Latest posts