Sick Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Has anyone had a sick calf that has foam at the mouth , drooling , not nursing and bellers out constantly. The mamas bag is full. He has been doing it for a day vet is coming later. I am wondering if maybe hes constipated or something. He has no fever.

[youtube]rCGiAU_bpYk[/youtube]

How does he walk?

When you checked his mouth, can he move his tongue? swallow?

Video and temp - so much more useful information than most posts offer. Nice job.

milkmaid":xcyg6t3w said:
How does he walk?

When you checked his mouth, can he move his tongue? swallow?

Video and temp - so much more useful information than most posts offer. Nice job.

He does walk fine but at one point he was having a blank stare and like he was going sideways like he was confused then got himself together and walked but for most part walks good. It seems as though he can move his tongue did not make any moves or sounds to suggest when I was messing with his mouth something was wrong and appeared normal. The vet is supposed to come out today he advised a shot of solemium or however you spell it.
Thanks milkmaid.

Consider EHD/Bluetongue as a possibility.
Have been fielding telephone calls daily, for the past 2 weeks, from veterinarians and producers over most of our service area (western KY/TN)- mostly calves/yearlings, but some adult cattle - with salivation, difficulty eating/drinking, lameness/lower leg swelling; some with oral ulcerations consistent with crossover of Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD of Whitetail Deer) into the cattle population. Currently chasing diagnoses down on several different farms, doing serology/virus isolation/PCR for EHD virus.
Big outbreaks of EHD occur in the WTD population on 4-5 year cycles; often in those major epizootics, we'll see a few clinically-affected cattle. This is an 'off' year for EHD in the deer population - we're seeing a few dead deer, but more apparent disease in cattle than in years when deer are dying like flies.

Here's a copy/paste from an ISU online article:
(EHD)Disease in cattle is characterized by fever, anorexia, and difficulty swallowing. The swallowing disorders are caused by damage to the striated muscles of the pharynx, larynx, esophagus and tongue, and may lead to dehydration, emaciation, and aspiration pneumonia. Edema, hemorrhages, erosions, and ulcerations may be seen in the mouth, on the lips, and around the coronets. The animals may be stiff and lame, and the skin may be thickened and edematous. Abortions and stillbirths have also been reported in some epidemics. Most EHDV infections in cattle appear to be subclinical. Typical symptoms include fever, oral ulcers, salivation, lameness associated with coronitis, and weight loss. In pregnant cows, the fetus may be resorbed or develop hydranencephaly if it is infected between 70 and 120 days of gestation. Deaths are uncommon with the North American strains of EHDV; however, some animals may be lame and unthrifty for a prolonged period. Epizootic hemorrhagic disease has not been reproduced in experimentally infected cattle; although animals become viremic, they remain asymptomatic.

Sheep can be infected, but rarely develop clinical disease. There's no evidence that goats can even be infected - experimental inoculations failed to produce viremia.

Just had a text from one of my co-workers; she's had what I suspected were a couple of EHD-affected cows in their herd of 30; the first one's nose lesions are healing, but another has some ulcerations popping up, and she counted six more salivating excessively, this afternoon.

Yes. Rabies would be in the list of diseases to consider.
Pretty uncommon, but a possibility.

I will be finding out soon I suppose. If they had rabies wouldnt they be aggressive towards you or wouldnt matter since its cattle?

sky,
The 'Ol' Yeller' thing is overplayed.
The 'furious' form of rabies is not what we typically see when rabies spills over from the wildlife reservoir(skunks and bats in my neck of the woods) into domestic animals. The 'dumb' form is more common.
We diagnose rabies in skunks & bats on fairly regular basis.
I've not diagnosed rabies in a cow in over a decade. There was a cluster of 4 rabid horses in SE MO a year or so back. Don't think we've had a rabid cat diagnosed in KY in over 10 years; haven't seen a rabid dog in over 5 years.

Most human exposures to rabid cattle come in the form of folks shoving their hand/arm in the cow's mouth/throat, thinking they're 'choked'.
'Sexual excitement' may be a feature of rabies in bulls - and you get a change in the tenor of their vocalization; vet school professor said, it just sounds like a Brahman cow. So, for y'all in eared-cattle country... how would you know?

Good thing you used rubber gloves...

There is a French saying:"Les 3 B, bave, boite, beugle" (it doesn't really translate: the 3 B's , drooling, limping and vocalisation in cattle) are symptoms that should make you think of rabies...

skyhightree1":3e2dc7pz said:
Koffi Babone":3e2dc7pz said:
Don't forget rabies in your differential...

Really?

Sky, the first thing I thought when I read your post was that he could be hydrophobic (that's means rabies for you Florida State people). I'm glad you put gloves on before probing around in his mouth like one Florida State person suggested. That's why you have to be careful about who you listen to.

I hope everything turns out alright for the calf and you. I hate for them to have to chain you up to keep you from biting folks.

I told him to check his mouth. For the Mississippi folk that requires your eyes . Chances of him catching rabies from a cow would be like a team from Mississippi winning the national championship.

TennesseeTuxedo":3csurctk said:
Sounds to me like the calf is starving. Most likely Because the cow has a severe case of mastitis. Gonna have to bottle feed the calf and ship the dam.
Has any one heard what the vet has said??