sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

sweet william

Reaction score
I have an 8 week old jersey calf on milk replacer, I have been through the scours bit and thought everything was fine now, but suddenly this morning he can't seem to stay on his feet. He gets up and wobbles til he falls over and over. Does anyone know what is wrong and what I should do about it?

I give him 1 heaping cup powder and 12 cups water. This is quite diluted, but if i give them too much powder they get diareah. I give this morning and night.

sweet william":22wjza8e said:
I give him 1 heaping cup powder and 12 cups water. This is quite diluted, but if i give them too much powder they get diareah. I give this morning and night.

just a stab at it.. several possibilites come to my mind and i suspect it is more than just one of them..

dont know how long you have been feeding this amount, but the calf could be starved?? is it eating anything else?
and/or it could be
dehydrated

have you given it anything for the scours?

maybe you should talk to your vet, but outside of that i would probably increase the amount of milk concentration if it is not eating anything else (a good calf starter would be great, too) .. it has to have some nutrition. i would probably give it some phobios sp? to get it some entergy and jump started. and treat it for the scours and dehydration if needed.

maybe some others can give you some better advice...

good luck

jt

The milk replacer we use is 1 cup per quart. If yours is theysame then you are starving the little guy. But if he is 8 weeks old he should already be on feed and weaned off the bottle. Is he eating any grass or feed? What about drinking water?

This calf is eating hay and calf starter quite well, also drinking water. He does not look starved or dehydrated. But I did speak to a vet and he figures it is probably an ear infection. Something so simple and I had BSE worries, because of the look of being disoriented. The vet mentioned if it was not gone by the next day we should treat it with antibiotics, but I wonder if I should give him a shot of penicillen tonight. Do you think that would have the same effect?

Not to PO any one but indescrimenant(SP) use of anti biotics can hurt animals. One could also be wasting them because not all are for all. Some are not for general purpose. If the calf if worth anything take it to a vet. If this is just a rescue he might need a shot.

Latest posts