sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased a calf from a dairy barn, she is part black angus and part holstein. She is about 3 weeks old and had been doing fine then all of a sudden she would not suck one morning so we called the vet. She has been treated with banamine, calf bolus, scour tablets, and nuflor, also electrolyte supplment, and kick start. She seemed to get better then got the scours. We are giving her scour tablets 4 times a day along with some red medicine by mouth that the vet gave us. I have decreased her water in her milk and I am wondering if I should have done this or not and if there is anything else anyone can tell us to do that will help. The vet also said to give her one half cup of buttermilk 2 times a day which we are doing. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Lisa

[email protected]

No. You should not have decreased her water in her milk. A calf that scours is loosing body fluids and needs to replace them. Make sure she knows how to drink from a bucket and have water available to her at all times.

> I recently purchased a calf from a
> dairy barn, she is part black
> angus and part holstein. She is
> about 3 weeks old and had been
> doing fine then all of a sudden
> she would not suck one morning so
> we called the vet. She has been
> treated with banamine, calf bolus,
> scour tablets, and nuflor, also
> electrolyte supplment, and kick
> start. She seemed to get better
> then got the scours. We are giving