Sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf that was born 3/2/01, (Friday). This same cow had a calf last year that was drinking from the cow but losing weight and the vet said it was starving; started feeding milk replacer and it wouldn't drink hardly any. The calf eventually died at 9 days old. This calf is drinking from the cow, and I'm trying to give it milk replacer without much luck, but it is doing the same thing as last year's calf. Any suggestions?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Possibly you need to remove this calf from the cow entirely, tube feed it regularly if it won't or can't nurse. Baby calves are very, very fragile, and if you let this one go just a little too long, it will dehydrate and die on you quickly. Often a calf looks like it WON'T nurse when, in fact, it is too weak and CAN'T nurse. Don't believe the old timers who say, "It'll nurse when it's hungry enough."<p>Have you considered culling the cow? If so, you may consider not keeping her offspring, either, in case this problem is inherited. <br>
<br>

I'M WITH LINDA ON THIS ONE! SOUNDS LIKE YA NEED TO PULL THE CALF OFF AND START FEEDING IT WITH A TUBE FEEDER. I WOULD ALSO FIND SOME COLUSTRUM AND MAKE SURE THE BABY GETS IT. IF THE BABY WONT TAKE THE BUCKET WITH A NIPPLE BY INSERTING THE NIPPLE AND WORKING THE JAW'S UP AND DOWN. THEN I WOULD START THE FEEDING TUBE! I WOULD KEEP TRYING TO FEED WITH THE BUCKET FOR A FEW DAY'S YET TO TRY TO GET IT TO TAKE IT. <br>
<br>

[email protected]

Re: colostrum - this calf is too old now to benefit from colostrum. It doesn't do any good after the first 24 hours because by then the calf's digestive tract has changed and can no longer absorb the antibodies. <p>The calf should be tube fed regularly until it is taking either the bottle or bucket. Don't hold off on the tube feeding if you're having a problem getting it to nurse.
<br>

Latest posts