Sick Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Last Saturday I bought a registered hereford cow and 3 day heifer calf at an auction. I've had grade herefords for some years.The calf had developed pneumonia from the 5hr. trip to the auction and was treated by the vet at the auction. I knew this before I bid and took the risk. On Sunday the calf improved and on Monday developed scours. I had the vet on Tuesday and She put the calf on Naxel and electrolites. She's just now starting to perk up a little. The problem is I can't get her to nurse, and she's hard to get to take the electrolites from a bottle; but she does drink water from a pail that I have in the pen fot the cow. I'm not sure if she's nursing on her own or not. She seemed to be less willing to do it as the week went on. The more I try to steer her to the cow's udder or put a teat in her mouth, the more she fights. Can a calf forget how to suck? Is there some complication that would prevent sucking? Or am I just lousy at trying to get her to do it?<p>2nd question: The cow has had a slight bloody mucous discharge for the last 3 days. Is this normal a little more than a week after calving?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Its a good sign the calf fights you. It has enough energy to do this it must be eating. The water is good for her as long as she still nurses. Keep an eye on her eyes for signs of dehydration, and on her manure for consistancy. If she is making manure she is eating. If not you may have to tube her with the electrolytes. Don't leave her too long if she isn't eating as she can starve.<p>The discharge from the cow is normal.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Thanks for the response, I was hoping that would be the case. I don't see the calf nursing on its own, but as you say it must be since its getting stronger. I wouldn't mind if it perked up a little faster, though. What should I look for in the eyes as a sign of dehydration?<p>: Its a good sign the calf fights you. It has enough energy to do this it must be eating. The water is good for her as long as she still nurses. Keep an eye on her eyes for signs of dehydration, and on her manure for consistancy. If she is making manure she is eating. If not you may have to tube her with the electrolytes. Don't leave her too long if she isn't eating as she can starve.<p>: The discharge from the cow is normal.<p>: Jason Trowbridge<br>: Southern Angus Farms<br>: Alberta Canada<p>
<br>

Tim, can you tell by looking at the cow's udder if she has been sucked out? That would be another sign that the calf is nursing.
<br>

I'm not a real good judge of udders, but it doesn't seem very tight, so I guess that might be a good sign. This morning the poop is still quite yellow, but getting more solid, so it looks like she's on her way back.<p>: Tim, can you tell by looking at the cow's udder if she has been sucked out? That would be another sign that the calf is nursing.<p>
<br>

I look for wet or moist hair at the top of the teat. If you check often enough, you can catch this sign of the calf having nursed.
<br>

Last night I finally caught her in the act. I got her up to take her electrolites and she ran right over and started nursing. I think she was trying to convince me to skip the electrolites. Her poop is getting more solid, so all looks good. I can't wait to turn them out for everyone's sake. Thanks to everyone for the advice.<p>: I look for wet or moist hair at the top of the teat. If you check often enough, you can catch this sign of the calf having nursed.<p>
<br>

It can get frustrating, even for those who have been through it several times.
<br>

Latest posts