sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

newby

Reaction score
My daughter brought home a 6 week old calf. Born to a sick cow in the field, the farmer was letting it die. Sounds like she had either very little or no colostrum as the cow had not produced milk.The kids carried it to the horse barn on the property and put her in a stall. She's been drinking milk replacer, then last week she came down with pneumonia. The kids got Baytril? for her, however the lady at the barn gave it sub-Q. When she first got to my basement, her temp was 92.4 via rectal digital ( human thermometer). We gave her a total of 2000 cc IV lactated ringers and 0.9% normal saline and 6 ml of IV Baytril. Got her temp up to 99. She has diarrhea, which my daughter describes as " jelly like." I'm a paramedic, not a farmer or vet. I'm giving it my best shot here, but is there anything else I can be doing for her? She's not quite as dehydrated after the fluid bolus, but she's not standing on her own and hasn't for 2 days. Drank maybe a pint of milk replacer today.

newby":2dlign21 said:
My daughter brought home a 6 week old calf. Born to a sick cow in the field, the farmer was letting it die. Sounds like she had either very little or no colostrum as the cow had not produced milk.

At this stage of the game, there is nothing you can do about the deficiency/lack of colostrum. But, be aware that if this calf did not get colostrum, it's going to be an uphill battle to keep him/her healthy.

The kids carried it to the horse barn on the property and put her in a stall. She's been drinking milk replacer, then last week she came down with pneumonia. The kids got Baytril? for her, however the lady at the barn gave it sub-Q. When she first got to my basement, her temp was 92.4 via rectal digital ( human thermometer). We gave her a total of 2000 cc IV lactated ringers and 0.9% normal saline and 6 ml of IV Baytril. Got her temp up to 99. She has diarrhea, which my daughter describes as " jelly like." I'm a paramedic, not a farmer or vet. I'm giving it my best shot here, but is there anything else I can be doing for her? She's not quite as dehydrated after the fluid bolus, but she's not standing on her own and hasn't for 2 days. Drank maybe a pint of milk replacer today.

Get some electrolytes and get them into the calf. You can buy them at the local feed store, or from your vet (either can explain the differences between the different brands and make a recommendation as to which brand), mix them according to the package directions and bottle feed or tube. The electrolytes will go a long ways as far as re-hydrating and offsetting the effects of the diarrhea. For right now, don't worry about the milk replacer, get as many electrolytes as you can into that calf - by tubing if she will not nurse. I would also recommend getting a couple of terramycin or smz boluses down her as well to stop the scours (again, talk to the vet and see what he/she recommends). When the scours (diarrhea) stops and she starts perking up, then start again with the milk replacer, but do it in small increments or you will have diarrhea to deal with again.

Six WEEK old, or six DAY old?

Pnemonia - Baytril's a good choice. However, it is labeled as Sub-Q only, NOT IV. http://pbs.naccvp.com/view_label.php?u= ... um=1040007 If I remember right, it reaches thereputic blood levels within 30 minutes and lung levels within 60 minutes.

Scours - I rather like Spectam scour-halt (actually labeled for pigs). 15-20cc's, mix with warm water, repeat in 12 hours. General opinion is that milk should be withheld for scouring calves as the bacteria in the gut causing scours feed off the milk, and a scouring calf isn't absorbing much nutrition anyway. Jelly-like "diarrhea" isn't too bad - when it looks like water you've got a serious problem.

Some people advocate use of Kaopectin or Bismuth Subsalicylate as part of scours treatment...I haven't had the best results with it. It is "designed" to bind with toxins, but I find it binds with oral antibiotics as well, rendering them ineffective. So I'd suggest just the oral antibiotic + fluids.

Msscamp is right - electrolytes are important now. Electrolytes (I like the kind with 50% dextrose) and then probiotic.

Head over to the vet clinic or the local feed store in the morning and pick up a few drugs. Good luck. :)

I really appreciate your responses, however she died last night. It's nice to see people pull together and help virtual strangers. That's what the farming community is all about and something I've missed since I grew up. Many thanks and hope you all enjoy a peaceful and healthy new year...

Latest posts