sick calf not eating

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been treating a 400 pound calf with nuflor and micotil for nearly a week now and also giving a vitamin complex shot.He will not eat and seems to be getting weaker and weaker.Does anyone know a secret on getting a calf like that to eat?

[email protected]

> I have been treating a 400 pound
> calf with nuflor and micotil for
> nearly a week now and also giving
> a vitamin complex shot.He will not
> eat and seems to be getting weaker
> and weaker.Does anyone know a
> secret on getting a calf like that
> to eat?

The first thing to do is check his temperature and make sure it is okay. Try giving him some different drugs like synergistryn and trivetron. I have found that they work well together. Just because nuflor and micotile are expensive they dont always work.

Do you know what is wrong with your calf? What specific illness are you treating him for?

It is a very good idea to check his temperature.

You could be dealing with something mechanical like hardware disease. He could have a virus and antibiotics won't kill a virus. However, antibiotics can help keep the calf from catching a secondary bacterial infection.

Is his illness respiratory? Is it intestinal? Has a vet examined him - listened to his lungs with a stethoscope, etc., and diagnosed an illness?

If he is too weak to eat and/or drink, he may need IV fluids for rehydration. An animal recovers from a viral infection simply because his body overcame the virus. The steps you are taking are supportive - helping to keep his strength up so he can fight the virus. He may also need some electrolytes tubed into him to help rehydrate and strengthen him.

Only your vet can advise you and only after the animal is examined.

> The first thing to do is check his
> temperature and make sure it is
> okay. Try giving him some
> different drugs like synergistryn
> and trivetron. I have found that
> they work well together. Just
> because nuflor and micotile are
> expensive they dont always work.

I had some like that and got an electrolite supplement . You mix it with warm water and it helps them regain their strength. Also I fed 12% horse and mule feed it really helped.

[email protected]

I have had good luck with giving raw egg yolks to calves who won't eat. They are full of protien and give quick energy. Probotics also work wonders as they restore the natural (Good) bacteria anibotics kill. Ruth

> The first thing to do is check his
> temperature and make sure it is
> okay. Try giving him some
> different drugs like synergistryn
> and trivetron. I have found that
> they work well together. Just
> because nuflor and micotile are
> expensive they dont always work.

[email protected]

We've had similar problems. The best thing we've foud is to seperate these calves from the herd and to give them Nuflour and sulfa pills for a few days. That, plus a starter rastion seems to help them turn the corner. Good Luck.

[email protected]

I am treating him for shipping fever he is a salebarn calf.I have been treating for two weeks.As of yesterday I have discontinued the antibiotics.I have been using electrolytes and also using gatorade seems to pep him up some.He has began to pick at hay and eating a little horse mule feed.I will try the raw eggs that sounds very logical.He is still hanging in there after two weeks thanks to all of you for the good advice.Anyone else that has advice please post it I am always willing to learn.

[email protected]

Latest posts