sick calf--Help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I posted a while back about a salebarn calf we got. We got it over the pnemonia, by giving it Nuflor, and then once we gave it LA 200. Now, it seems sore all over. The calf is alert, perky ears, eats and poops great (still on bottle she is 3 weeks old). But now it is weak in the legs, slow moving, shaky. It used to run around, buck and play until the pnemonia. Weve cleared that up but now it seems to be getting crippled. Did we cause this by to many shots? It got 3 shots of nuflor,(over time) and one of la 200. Geez, I feel so dumb. Weve never had a salebarn baby, and all our calves have cleared up after 1 or 2 shots. I read on the nuflor label, may cause muscle reaction for over 28 days. Could it be cause my hubby gave the shot in the hip and not the neck?? Any insite on this would be great.

[email protected]

Nuflor can definitely cause soreness. If it's joints aren't swollen it could be a reaction to the shots. Just guessing.

dunmovin farms

> I posted a while back about a
> salebarn calf we got. We got it
> over the pnemonia, by giving it
> Nuflor, and then once we gave it
> LA 200. Now, it seems sore all
> over. The calf is alert, perky
> ears, eats and poops great (still
> on bottle she is 3 weeks old). But
> now it is weak in the legs, slow
> moving, shaky. It used to run
> around, buck and play until the
> pnemonia. Weve cleared that up but
> now it seems to be getting
> crippled. Did we cause this by to
> many shots? It got 3 shots of
> nuflor,(over time) and one of la
> 200. Geez, I feel so dumb. Weve
> never had a salebarn baby, and all
> our calves have cleared up after 1
> or 2 shots. I read on the nuflor
> label, may cause muscle reaction
> for over 28 days. Could it be
> cause my hubby gave the shot in
> the hip and not the neck?? Any
> insite on this would be great.

> Her one front knee looks abit swollen. could that be from the Nuflor too? This just appeared the day I posted the message. I feel so bad for her.

Nuflor can definitely cause
> soreness. If it's joints aren't
> swollen it could be a reaction to
> the shots. Just guessing.

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]

I don't think so. I'm no vet but it sounds more like navel/joint ill. V the V will know.

dunmovin farms

> Nuflor can definitely cause

If she's got swollen joints, it's infection from septicemia, likely navel infection which is becoming joint ill. This causes septic arthritis, very painful and can lead to death. Please have it examined by your vet! Good Luck! V

I agree. Detailed response above! (sorry, I didn't read yours first...)

Just a little added info. Naval ill/joint ill is usually caused at birth. The calf's raw naval was exposed to contaminated bedding and enters the bloodstream. That's why it is recommended to dip the naval with iodine as soon after birth as possible. Since you purchased this calf, there was nothing you could do. Damage was done. Also, more than likely it never received colostrom in a timely manner if at all. All in all, it is best to ONLY purchase calves from a known source, ie neighbor who has clean facilities and makes sure calves get their needed colostrom. Jeanne
> If she's got swollen joints, it's
> infection from septicemia, likely
> navel infection which is becoming
> joint ill. This causes septic
> arthritis, very painful and can
> lead to death. Please have it
> examined by your vet! Good Luck! V

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

>I spoke with my vet and she agreed with vicki- naval infection.--thank you-!! we are to give her some more nuflor for it. I pray she gets better. Normally we dont get sale barn calves. My hubby works at the sale barn and this one cow gave birth right before being shipped out to the canner. Unexpectly. Her bag was terrible he said. So, he brought it home for my son. Yes, I dont think it got much colostrum.

I agree. Detailed response above!
> (sorry, I didn't read yours
> first...)

[email protected]