Sick Calf. Can someone help me!

Help Support CattleToday:

frankdutra

Reaction score
5 days ago on the 19th of April we rounded up our Angus cattle. We cutted one of our Bull calf, about 3 weeks olds, give it pinkeye, clostridial, cattlemaster gold 5..........it did not look very well couple days later, so I gave it sulfa III tablets and a shot of 1cc of Mikeden( I think I am spelling it right).........then yesterday a few days later, I notice the front legs getting weak and the neck startied to to look stiff...........so I gave it some more sulfa III tablets and 12cc of Nuflor(a prescription medince) NOW, the calf's front legs are so weak that it can not stand........the back legs are very strong but the front legs just don't have the strength to get up. Also I notice the neck is now very stiff. The calf looks strong health except for that.

no one can tell you whats wrong with the calf without seeing it.
also why nuflor ????
is the calf nursing?
dehydration maybe???
but i'd guess and only a guess tetanus

Clinical Signs
Stiffness and reluctance to move are normally the first signs
Twitching and tremors of the muscles
Lockjaw
Prominent protruding third eyelid
Unsteady gait with stiff held out tail
Affected cattle are usually anxious and easily excited by sudden movements or handling.
Bloat is common because the rumen stops working
Later signs include collapse, lying on side with legs held stiffly out, spasm and death

have a vet look at it

That is want I taught first but, I was told if it was tetanus, that the legs would be stiff and they don't look like it.........The reason I give it Nuflor was because I taught first it had some type of respiratory disease.

Nuflor won't harm a thing and it is one of the best brood spectrum antibiotics out there ..

I do agree, get a vet involved as I too have no experience with tetanus (thank goodness)..

Time to call your vet..

I got the vaccines from local feed store..........also I just gave it electrolytes twice today........He can stand on his front knees only...........the calf was nursing up until yesterday...........Thanks everyone for all you help so far...........

I agree with HD a vet would go good about now . Get a temp on him,I would give him tetanus antitoxin, high dose of pen, dexamethasone . Did the electrolyte help ?

Larry

frankdutra":3lo2e9an said:
I got the vaccines from local feed store..........also I just gave it electrolytes twice today........He can stand on his front knees only...........the calf was nursing up until yesterday...........Thanks everyone for all you help so far...........
Where are you from? Selenium deficient????

k. ill ask again, where did you give the shots? it is possible to hit nerves while giving vaccines.

Latest posts