Sick calf - 50-50 chance

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a three month old calf that went down yesterday. I gave her penicillin yesterday morning, because I was told she had a touch of pneumonia. About three hours later she went down. Today we gave her some (micatol & licamissasin?-Spelling is probably incorrect, but I'm told if anything will bring her around this is it.) I have been moistening her mouth and giving her sips of water every half hour. What else can I do?
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

(User Above)":3te8ni51 said:
: I have a three month old calf that went down yesterday. I gave her penicillin yesterday morning, because I was told she had a touch of pneumonia. About three hours later she went down. Today we gave her some (micatol & licamissasin?-Spelling is probably incorrect, but I'm told if anything will bring her around this is it.) I have been moistening her mouth and giving her sips of water every half hour. What else can I do? I have been told to tube her...Any advice??????????<p><br>
<br>

(User Above)":5f6vzput said:
: I have a three month old calf that went down yesterday. I gave her penicillin yesterday morning, because I was told she had a touch of pneumonia. About three hours later she went down. Today we gave her some (micatol & licamissasin?-Spelling is probably incorrect, but I'm told if anything will bring her around this is it.) I have been moistening her mouth and giving her sips of water every half hour. What else can I do?<p>
<br>

(User Above)":1wwris3c said:
: I have a three month old calf that went down yesterday. I gave her penicillin yesterday morning, because I was told she had a touch of pneumonia. About three hours later she went down. Today we gave her some (micatol & licamissasin?-Spelling is probably incorrect, but I'm told if anything will bring her around this is it.) I have been moistening her mouth and giving her sips of water every half hour. What else can I do? Calf died 27 hours after going down...................<p>
<br>

(User Above)":24x1dkn0 said:
: : I have a three month old calf that went down yesterday. I gave her penicillin yesterday morning, because I was told she had a touch of pneumonia. About three hours later she went down. Today we gave her some (micatol & licamissasin?-Spelling is probably incorrect, but I'm told if anything will bring her around this is it.) I have been moistening her mouth and giving her sips of water every half hour. What else can I do? ADDED NOTE::: Calf died 27 hours after going down...................<p>
<br>

(User Above)":36l6d9nx said:
: : I have a three month old calf that went down yesterday. I gave her penicillin yesterday morning, because I was told she had a touch of pneumonia. About three hours later she went down. Today we gave her some (micatol & licamissasin?-Spelling is probably incorrect, but I'm told if anything will bring her around this is it.) I have been moistening her mouth and giving her sips of water every half hour. What else can I do? I have been told to tube her...Any advice??????????<p>My calves that get down that quick usually die. Tube her only if she appears dehydrated.<p><br>
<br>

Well it's too late now, but I didn't think you where suppose to use Micatil on a calf that young? Or was it given as a kill'm or cure'm kinda last resort thing. Doesn't sound like pneumonia to go that quick.<br>
<br>

Well my advice would have been to call the vet before giving any meds.Micatil is a pretty heavy duty antibiotic and in combination with everything else I wonder if the calf was over-medicated. I think I would be wanting to know for sure what that calf had... just in case another goes down that quick!<br>Janet
<br>

[email protected]

I'm sorry you lost your calf. There are many different diseases that can cause illness. Unless you had a vet diagnose her or do a necropsy, you'll never know what caused her death. <p>One of our calves recently became ill with diptheria. She looked fine, was running around and eating well, but her breathing sounded terrible. I took her into the vet. He was out on a call and while I was waiting several different farmers came over and gave me their unsolicited opinions. All were the same: "Give her a shot of LA200 and she'll be fine. You didn't need to bring her in to the vet." Well, the diagnosis was diptheria, and LA200 doesn't do a thing for diptheria. It is only sensitive to Sulfa. And, my reasearch on diptheria came up with this fact: untreated calves usually die within 2 to 8 days. Fortunately, I was willing to spend a few dollars on the vet and our calf is fine now.
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts