Sick bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

rosiegoat

Reaction score
I've been bottle feeding a group a 3 holstein bull calves for 2 weeks.

After a short bout of scouring, most likely due to over feeding....Everyone was doing fine. When they were scouring, I cut back on the MR and supplemented electroytes in between feedings. No one ever looked ill - just the runny poo, and in 2 of the calves, yellow water-poo.

Fast forward to yesterday. One calf started the water poo again. It's been beastly hot & humid here. So instead of cutting his milk back - I just started giving the supplemental electrolytes again. He was fine for a week - so thought it might not be the MR. It stiffened up a little yesterday, but is back to water again today. So that's 3 days now. He is also flicking/shaking his back leg while taking the bottle. Almost like a fly is landing on him and he's shaking it off or something is stuck between his hoof? I didn't see a fly, but there well could be. I tried picking it up and inspecting - didn't notice anything off. This has been going on for about 3 days, too. So has this blasted heat & humidity.

I have been giving him a little of the probios paste every other day since the diareah (sp.).

So, what should the next course of treatment be? He is not dehydrated. Still bright eyed, spunky & kicking up his heels. BUT I've been diligent to keep buffing him up with extra eletrolytes about 5 hours after his MR.

Oh, and he's getting about 3 - 3.5 pints two times a day. So not quite the full feeding. However he is not a giant holstein calf, but fairly petite from a first freshner.

Thanks! (this is the first time any of our bottle babies scoured this bad in over 20 years!)

Sounds like you're doing a lot of things right. What brand and kind of milk are you using?

Larry

I've been using the premium replacer from TSC. It's the only kind you can find around here reliably. I've been mixing the 8 oz. to 2 quarts & then dividing it up between the 3 of them (I mix up two batches).

I do have Calf Medic, also. I haven't used it yet. Didn't want to give antibiotics if he didn't need them.

rosiegoat":26i8wgmf said:
I've been using the premium replacer from TSC. It's the only kind you can find around here reliably. I've been mixing the 8 oz. to 2 quarts & then dividing it up between the 3 of them (I mix up two batches).

I do have Calf Medic, also. I haven't used it yet. Didn't want to give antibiotics if he didn't need them.
What is the ingredient list of the "premium replacer from TSC"?

I'm at work now, so don't have the tag with me. But I know it's 20% protein, 20% fat, and all milk protiens, no soy at all.

It's still water this morning. He had a few "tighter" ones, but it goes right back to water.

rosiegoat":5ost5em9 said:
I'm at work now, so don't have the tag with me. But I know it's 20% protein, 20% fat, and all milk protiens, no soy at all.

It's still water this morning. He had a few "tighter" ones, but it goes right back to water.
The soy was what I was curious about.
Have you tried a dose or 2 of pepto to solid him up a bit?

His coat is still sleek & shiny. His appetite is great, bright eyed, ears up, greeting me mooing.

I haven't tried the pepto yet - I did read that you don't want to stiffen them up too much. Would they get an adult-human size dose? I know with goat kids (have those, too), you can damage them, sometimes.

Should I give him the Calf Medic tonght - or try pepto first?

Also, I started giving all of them Calf Manna last night. Just a few pellets in everyone's mouth. They all stood around chewing...looking puzzled at why the wonderful milk changed to dry stuff. They are goof balls.

A tea spoon in his bottle should tell you if it's going to do any good.

I gave him one tsp of Pepto in his evening bottle last night. THis morning his poo was the color & consistancy of soft chocolate pudding. I know the pepto will make it darker....but it was still pretty soft. But at least not pure liquid. So give him another dose?

My vet is not too knowledgable about cattle...they do preg. checks & vac. & thats about it. They advised cutting back milk & giving antibiotics. He's only getting 6.5-7 pints a day. I'd really like to go to smaller 4 feedings & see what that does, but with working 5 days a week, no gonna happen.

They all also seem to have dry, flaky dandruff type skin on their polls & neck. No where else, tho. I'm really hoping to be able to have them outside for an extended time this weekend to get some sun. It's either been way to hot & humid or pouring rain. We cut our 2nd (and last!) cut of hay yesterday, and will be baling Sunday & Monday

rosiegoat":38ws20c4 said:
I gave him one tsp of Pepto in his evening bottle last night. THis morning his poo was the color & consistancy of soft chocolate pudding. I know the pepto will make it darker....but it was still pretty soft. But at least not pure liquid. So give him another dose?
I do it agasin in his evening bottle

Thanks! - he's been ok for a few days now. And we switched to bucket feeding... :banana:

Latest posts