Sick Bottle Calf (NEED HELP)

Help Support CattleToday:

brent6482003

Reaction score
Purchased a bottle calf approx 10 days ago (85lbs.) angus crossbred at sale & have had problems from day 1. He won't take the bottle most of the time. Have him on Dumor milk replacement (3 pints/1 bottle) in morning and evening. He either spits the milk out or will not suck at all. I have started him on Tylan 50 (antibiotic) 3ml IV once a day approx 4 days ago and he seems alittle better but continues to only drink about half a bottle in the morning and evening, if that. I've also tried calf kick start/1 day-wouldn't drink it, placed a oat/mineral mix for feed in pen- won't look at it. Checked nipple on bottle (ok)... Any ideals out there? He won't last much longer. Thanks,
Brent/Texas

Check and see if he has a fever. There are better antibiotics than Tylan now. You may need to drench the calve until he is better or stronger able to drink. make sure he is hydrated. you can get some Lactated Ringers from your vet to rehydrate the animal if so. I would also get a Poly Serum shot and give it. This is to help build some imunity which he is more than likely lacking. You can do all this by going to your vet. Good luck.

Hi Brent 6482003, Sounds like you are going to have to tube feed him, my vet showed me how, and I also got the equipment from him, He has to have nurtrition to survive, sounds like a vet trip is in order, Have you checked temp , any other things going on, scours( diarrhea) ?? If he has scours, he must be kept hydrated as well as nurtrition. Milkmaid is good at this, maybe you could pm her. Hope your calf gets better soon. Merry

mermill2":1y3qezra said:
Hi Brent 6482003, Sounds like you are going to have to tube feed him, my vet showed me how, and I also got the equipment from him, He has to have nurtrition to survive, sounds like a vet trip is in order, Have you checked temp , any other things going on, scours( diarrhea) ?? If he has scours, he must be kept hydrated as well as nurtrition. Milkmaid is good at this, maybe you could pm her. Hope your calf gets better soon. Merry

I do so agree with Merry on this one. Take him to the vet, like she said...and let us know what the vet says and does, please.

Alice

Hi zbrent 6482003, Hi Brent, I actually want to clarify one thing, the vet told me how to tube the calf. i was a nurse and used to putting tubes in people. I knew to ask, the vet, since all creatures are not the same. Thanks you Alice, for your comments. Alice is great. Excuse my typos, please. Merry Hope your calf gets better, soon

Hydration is the key, I shouldn't say this but, it's been a while since we lost one, thankfully. If you can just get fluids and electrolytes in him and antibiotics until he gets to feeling better he may be slowed down a bit but, he will catch up.

I vote to tube him, asap. My vet also had me tube one of my little guys with whole milk since they get their energy from the milk fat at first. Then you can start mixing the milk with the mixed up milk replacer. My little one did really well on that. Good luck. We all know how hard it is.

I'd tube him. Chances are he was on a cow for some time and they don't always transition well.

Sooo... don't give him a choice. Tube him with what he needs, and offer him a bottle before hand and several other times during the day until he'll drink on his own.

Why do you have him on antibiotics? any symptoms of sickness?

This may sound stupid but I tried this had seen vet help do it for puppies, who's mother would not feed them . Get some Gerber baby food, dry, in a box mix it with the milk, not too much but more than a baby of course. but it pulled one out of the hole for me, with the tube. I think if and when I have to do it again, I will try it again, I used the oatmeal, I think there are several varieties of it. but I do think that did help somewhat, with the milk replacer, seems replacer alone is lacking somewhat. Good luck

tryinhard

tryinhard":1cn68sov said:
This may sound stupid but I tried this had seen vet help do it for puppies, who's mother would not feed them . Get some Gerber baby food, dry, in a box mix it with the milk, not too much but more than a baby of course. but it pulled one out of the hole for me, with the tube. I think if and when I have to do it again, I will try it again, I used the oatmeal, I think there are several varieties of it. but I do think that did help somewhat, with the milk replacer, seems replacer alone is lacking somewhat. Good luck

tryinhard

Let me tell ya' something...when you've tried everything in the world and it's still not working, and that calf is going downhill at 90 mph, NOTHING sounds stupid!

Alice

Ok, I took yall's advice, went to TSC, got tubing kit. Read for hours on the net the correct procedure... Lung precautions,etc. Filled up 2 gt. of Bounce Back & warm water, gently eased it down his throat-THE FIGHT WAS ON....Anyways he swallowed a couple of times & it went down well (Almost to easy). No cough/lung damage etc. I then gave him a shot 1ml of Combi-Pen-48, 1 tablet of Terramycin tube-orally for scours. (Vet suggestions) Later tonight I will tube him 1gt. of Dumor Ultra milk. He already looks alittle better/more pep, I will feel yall' in daily until he's better. Thanks a million to all who replied. O'yea' spent 66.00 total on meds but learned alot more than I spent. (Smile)
Brent/Burning Up In Texas!

brent6482003":2wct5ixr said:
Ok, I took yall's advice, went to TSC, got tubing kit. Read for hours on the net the correct procedure... Lung precautions,etc. Filled up 2 gt. of Bounce Back & warm water, gently eased it down his throat-THE FIGHT WAS ON....Anyways he swallowed a couple of times & it went down well (Almost to easy). No cough/lung damage etc. I then gave him a shot 1ml of Combi-Pen-48, 1 tablet of Terramycin tube-orally for scours. (Vet suggestions) Later tonight I will tube him 1gt. of Dumor Ultra milk. He already looks alittle better/more pep, I will feel yall' in daily until he's better. Thanks a million to all who replied. O'yea' spent 66.00 total on meds but learned alot more than I spent. (Smile)
Brent/Burning Up In Texas!

Brent,

Good for you...you can see the good in the experience...and you spent time researching and calling the vet. I've got all the confidence in the world in you. I've certainly got my fingers crossed for you and the calf. :)

BTW...Burning up in TX seems to be the rule, rather than the exception. Isn't it dreadful?

Alice

Good going Brent, You have to get the good stuff down him before he can inprove much. As he gets more energy he will eat a little more and get stronger. Little things like a big dollop of peanut butter in his mouth will give him more energy. Sounds like your doing a good job. Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit. Baron

Calf is doing much better, he's not fighting me as much at tubing but still refuses the bottle....Im tubing him 2gt a day and he seems to be stronger...Mostly standing now throughout the day...Thanks for everyone's advice, it may have just saved him!! Yea!! :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your hard work and perseverance paid off! And, isn't that sense of relief fantastic. I know how you feel, believe me I do...and it is wonderful!

Good Job, Brent...Good Job

Alice

Latest posts